Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2011, 11:25:20 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus (Read 28,558 times)

SiL

SiL

And another out of the theatrical version -- the stain over Kane's chest on the monitor.

End of the day, cool as the Jockey was, it was in no way important to the plot.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Actually, one only has to read the original novel by Alan Dean Foster to understand the importance of the Space Jockey at that time, what really made the creature legendary is boards like this one, fuelling speculation and offering one theory after another. Nothing wrong with that of course, I think the Jockeys are an important angle to the grand scheme of things, I would have liked an Alien Prequel just to know more about them so they really did become part of the mythos.  But as it stands, like a few things that were dropped by FOX during the making of Alien, it does seem likely Scott, rather than risk his reputation screwing things up as the father of Alien, would rather go the safe route and give us the best of both worlds otherwise known as a spin-off, where if it doesn't work it doesn't really matter anyway, AKA AvP.  I don't know about you guys, but considering I waited 30 plus years just to see Space Jockeys in an unrelated Alien film, I find that so disappointing and wonder why bother!

Space Voyager

Space Voyager

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2011, 06:40:51 AMEnd of the day, cool as the Jockey was, it was in no way important to the plot.
Agree completely. It makes you wonder what it is but the answer to this question bares no difference to the movie.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 01, 2011, 07:44:54 AM
Actually, one only has to read the original novel by Alan Dean Foster to understand the importance of the Space Jockey at that time,
Considering the Jockey doesn't appear in the novel, all ADF did was prove my point; it's so unimportant that its absence has zero effect on anything. Ever.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2011, 09:47:45 AM
Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 01, 2011, 07:44:54 AM
Actually, one only has to read the original novel by Alan Dean Foster to understand the importance of the Space Jockey at that time,
Considering the Jockey doesn't appear in the novel, all ADF did was prove my point; it's so unimportant that its absence has zero effect on anything. Ever.

That's what I meant lol.  Still, it would've been interesting to see how the S.J. played out in a prequel.  You're right it's not important, but I think it could be, you only have to look at how opinions have grown to see there is a story there.

Highland

Highland

I'd have to disagree. The Space jockey ship , however redundant to the plot of the story, is a massive part of what has made Alien so appealing to Sci Fi fans.

"The Thing" is one of my all time favourite movie's , but I don't need to know anything more about the creature or where it came from because the film does not expand on these elements. It's a crashed ship with a bad guy on board.

The Space Jockey injects wonder and imagination, questions without answers, the very core of Science Fiction.

To say the Space jockey is "so unimportant" is well past the mark in my opinion.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Bravo Highland......his remark was one of the dumbest I've read thus far.

dandan

dandan

Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Mar 01, 2011, 12:08:51 AM
Its on disc 6 if i remember correctly buddy, i didn't know about the space jockeys skull at the start of a v p 2 and i've got the blu ray of that, i also have the unrated us version which is slightly different to the uk uncut blu ray so im gonna take a look see if i can spot it. Scott can be a bit ambiguous at times about things, im happier he has taken this route with prometheus, iam looking forward to seeing the planet environment and the space jockey. Will be awesome revisiting the zeta 2 reticulii system too, i wonder if we'll see the jockeys ship fly? and if they will keep the derelict chase sequence from alien harvest but change some elements. Will we see space jockeys contacting humans and communicating with them? will be awesome
ok  man thanks! ill watch disk 6 tonight then ! and yeah im also very interesting to see how the jockeys live and what weaponry they use if they are good or bad or are just on there own team just like the predators... also i am certain we just might see some jockeys ships in action this movie is going to be EPIC my freind! :D

SM

SM

Quote from: Highland on Mar 01, 2011, 02:22:41 PM
I'd have to disagree. The Space jockey ship , however redundant to the plot of the story, is a massive part of what has made Alien so appealing to Sci Fi fans.

The Thing is one of my all time favourite movie's , but I don't need to know anything more about the creature or where it came from because the film does not expand on these elements. It's a crashed ship with a bad guy on board.

The Space Jockey injects wonder and imagination, questions without answers, the very core of Science Fiction.

To say the Space jockey is "so unimportant" is well past the mark in my opinion.

Thus once again showing that opinions can be wrong.

It's not vital to the plot.  They could've gone onto the ship, come across the eggs, and the film changes not one iota.  The Jockey isn't never even mentioned again for the rest of the film.

The plot is to get them onto the planet in order to then get the Alien on to the Nostromo.  The Jockey adds texture, and I'm sure no one's trying to say it should've been cut, but it adds nothing plotwise.  As I said, it's a money shot.

SiL

SiL

QuoteIt's not vital to the plot.  They could've gone onto the ship, come across the eggs, and the film changes not one iota.
As illustrated by ADF and later script drafts.

SM

SM

And the fact it changed from pyramid scratching earlier drafts.

SiL

SiL

Aaand that its role in the finished picture is still even smaller than originally imagined (They didn't take the skull as proof).

Seriously, the Jockey is about as crucial to the plot as the drinky birds on the table.

Highland

Highland

I didn't say it was vital to the plot. Light Sabres aren't vital to the plot in Star Wars, nor Germans in Indian Jones. Would the movie have been any better or worse without it? Who knows?

I think the folks are trying to say it is NOW an integral part of the saga. It's responsible for the sequel, and it churns out a hell of a lot of interest, otherwise we wouldn't be typing in the Prometheus thread which apparently has nought to do with Aliens. 

It could be argued that the Space Jockey has caused more people to throw the toy's out the pram than the Alien has.

SM

SM

They did the sequel without the Jockey.

And the ship even.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: Highland on Mar 01, 2011, 02:22:41 PM

"The Thing" is one of my all time favourite movie's , but I don't need to know anything more about the creature or where it came from because the film does not expand on these elements. It's a crashed ship with a bad guy on board.

All that matters is the Alien Eggs, the novel and script are proof of that.  The Jockeys and Dererlict simply serve as a placement for the whole piece.  Even if they had been dropped, the Nostromo crew would still find the eggs because that is pivitol to the plot... dont you get it yet!!  lol

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed