James Cameron on Aliens Blu-Ray

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 16, 2010, 06:17:09 PM

Author
James Cameron on Aliens Blu-Ray (Read 10,649 times)

Corporal Hicks

While speaking to James Cameron about his Avatar re-release, Coming Soon.net snuck in some questions about the upcoming Blu-Ray release of Aliens:

• Cameron personally remastered Aliens with the same colourist he used on Avatar. In his words, it’s spectacular.
  • They de-noised it, de-grained it, up-rezed it and colour corrected every single frame.
  • He thinks it looks better than it looked in theatres.
  • This was done to the Special Edition.

The Blu-Ray is due out October 2010. Keep an eye on AvPGalaxy for some interesting Anthology related updates in the future. Thanks to DazAvP85.

Cellien

Cellien

Well that's badass.

Jay Thomas

Jay Thomas

I hope he took out the shot of the Alien getting shot up that repeats in the Special Edition.

An Alien gets shot up while they're in the hive. Later, the shot is used again when the automatic turrets are firing.

Anyone else notice this?

sambomambo

sambomambo

I hope the didnt remove too much noise and certainly no grain, the predator special edition is f**king appalling!!!!

frostedone

frostedone

I hope it is not waxy like the Predator re release Blu-ray.

That said this sounds very promising! I I have faith in Cameron's judgment and I hope someone posts screenshots soon!

randy4321

randy4321

Ehh, nothing special.

randy4321

randy4321

@thewoozy, yes we all saw that. It was obvious.

Joe117

Joe117

<3

goneja

goneja

uh if you're a fan of this movie this is something special. to see james cameron in control of how this film is tweaked is important. This is actually my favorite movie of all time so to hear him say its better than it looked in theatres has me excited. The film definitely needed degraining we all know that.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

First predator and now this? Awesome, i know what the first Blue-Rays im getting in a few months.

dachande89

dachande89

Wow this actually makes me want a blu ray player....

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

"They de-noised it, de-grained it, up-rezed it and colour corrected every single frame."  This needed to happen if ALIENS was going to translate to Blue Ray.  We all know (or should know) Camerons movie was made to look grainy deliberately, using 35mm film processessing, for a certain feel 70mm couldn't provide at the time.  But also well done to Cameron for breaking with that 80's tradition to bring his film up to date.

Griffith

Griffith

My god... this is going to be f**king epic

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

@thewoozy   I know what you mean and I kind of agree.  But you have to remember though, Aliens was an 80's movie, replays and loops (which is different and often used in Star Wars) were very common, and hardly noticable at the time.  In fact, there's over a dozen of these "replays"  in Aliens alone that have either been flipped, filtered (as in recoloured), speeded up or, as in the shot you mention, just repeated.  Personally I dont think Cameron will change anything, and why should he, we only notice them now because technology allows us to, but if it doesn't spoil the value of the film why bother??

Blaine

Blaine

"They de-noised it, de-grained it, up-rezed it and colour corrected every single frame."

Need to do that with AVPR next

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed