Dave Dorman on AvPR Predalien

Started by Darkness, Oct 29, 2007, 09:09:03 PM

Author
Dave Dorman on AvPR Predalien (Read 20,891 times)

Darkness

Darkness

This is some interesting news. Dave Dorman, you remember him? He’s a great sci-fi illustrator/painter (check out Aliens: Tribes). He was also one of the first people to design a Predalien. According to a post on his blog, he actually offered to work on AvPR but he was turned down!

“I was hired by 20th Century Fox/Dark Horse Productions to develop some Predalien creature designs for the (then viable) first incarnation of Aliens v Predator. I did a number of designs, including the one shown here. Well much to my surprise here I am looking at my designs, in the flesh, so to speak! I have posted here my original designs and the photos showing the quite distinct similarity!… Last year I had approached the filmmakers about doing some design work for them. While they were familiar with my work they declined to have me involved. Now I know why!”

He goes on to point out the similarities between his design (seen above) and ADI’s version. Essentially, it’s about credit. But while the designs have some similarities, there are lots of differences too. But either way, I can’t believe he was turned down. Thanks to Sabinator and Xenomorphine for the news.

The Ultimate Predator

Dave Dorman, turned down? Madness.

wolfboy

wolfboy

Too bad the design of Dorman\'s is better than what we got. At least he got the mandibles right.  http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/686/48106724hu7.jpg

nukem11

nukem11

A shame that design is really cool.

Le Celticant

yeah, there is some point of similitude.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Why hire Dorman when ADI probably have their own designers that work a lot cheaper.  Makes good business sense.    :P  

slipknotpredator

This isnt about money, this is about powa    :D  

roguepl

roguepl

Maybe Dave should try vomiting his ideas straight into the bros mouths. That should work.

SHREK

SHREK

how could they turn down his designs when theyve made that piece of crap predalien.....his design is ALOT better.

Ty

Ty

Looks very cool.   ;)   I just can't wait until the 8 inch figures come out in December!   :-[  

Gul Kalvo

Gul Kalvo

Thats not the first time...Something similar took place in Alien 3. Once they got the first hints of concept art, they say to the artist that they are not interested and made their own and worst version. The predalien in the film is the biggest piece of crap by far I have seen. We have seen several predaliens on different media, and they all look better than this.  I guess these guys at ADI have one only design of xenophorm face structure (budget issue?), used on all their aliens, including our friend the newborn, and the have dared to use it on the predalien, so there is no place to put predator mandibles as they should be (low mandibles wider). Anyway they do not have any idea of how to make predator mandibles...   :P  

Optimus Virus

Optimus Virus

dorman design is okay but not great, I think fox made the right move to turn him down...a pred-alien is going to be a mix of alien & predator, so of course there is going to be similarities with his design and ADI\'s. He just want\'s a cheque...

Mr. Teal

Mr. Teal

haha i agree optimus virus about dave dorman wanting money lol . the hybrid doesn't look great in the movie, it still look's pretty damn good i think and will look alot better in the movie with all the rite effects, lighting and the music (which also make's a difference) lets stop dissing chet she is fantastic but just not super fantastic haha   ;D  

Optimus Virus

Optimus Virus

oh my god? my  previous comment was edited oh well! i think dorman just wants money and cant take rejection.  Rock On!

Deco

Deco

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Svme9_xVQ3A  A great example that great music truely amplifies what we look at on screen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed