ComingSoon.net's AvP Review

Started by Darkness, Aug 13, 2004, 12:22:36 AM

Author
ComingSoon.net's AvP Review (Read 17,316 times)

G-Dog

G-Dog

So far, all the gripes and groans that I read about AVP are stupid. Oh the acting was horrible, the aliens were dumb! the preds were weak and looked like they didn't know what to do and were snuck up on too easy!! wah wah wah, the movie was short! it was a funny movie! the preds lookes fake! AAAHHHH!!!! fuc-kiong retards! ok, have people thought that these are TEEN PREDS fighting and ultimate fighting machine that from "birth" know nothing but survival???!!!!!!!!! maybe the reason why the preds got snuck up too easy was because THEY ARE TEENAGERS AND ARE GOING THROUGH A MANHOOD RITUAL!!!!!!!!!!!! the preds in pred 1 and 2 weren't snuck up on maybe because they were ADULTS and EXPERIENCED!!! as for the acting, this isn't an academy award worthy drama, its a sci-f**king-fi monster mash movie! what did you expect? romeo and juliet verses and shit? god people are so f**king stupid, I swear I am going to chocke someone if they lauch while watching AVP when I am in there or start saying stupid shit without thinking about things first!!    >:D   It was a funny movie?? ok that must of been some idiot kid or something..........the fights were stupid and not long enough??? The only thing I think that is kinda messed up WITHOUT SEEING the movie, is the look of the Preds wthout the face mask (scar). Just doesn't look right to me for some reason. that and the running time, I do get the feeling its a bit short andI haven't seen the damn thing yet! a few more hours for me! oh and the fact that they are in antartica and they are running around with only a jacket and exposed skin....hmmmm.........a little messed up on that part..........What else did people bitch about........oh yes... the characters weren't well developed before they died!!??? WTF????? I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT KNOWING THE PEOPLE'S F-KING HEART TO HEART LIFE STORY!!!!!  jesus christ, all the reviews I read over the net from yahoo, to the bastards at AICN, to other sites.........god damn people.......AVP wasn't worth the $$ because it wasn wasn't like alien(s) and pred 1.........   ???   there are so much other stupid shit that I am not going to bother bringing up............I can simply say this to those that haven't seem this movie..DO NOT pay attention to those bad reviews. See the movie for yourself and don't let people discourage you......f-k everyone and the movie critics because you know what? this movie isn't made for the movie critics.......I expect them to bash this movie......

Growler

Growler

Well after seeing the movie, I'm a bit disappointed in my opinion.  The first half of the movie was good, the effects where great, the Aliens were amazing, but the Predators were the ones who were lacking.  Scar's animatronic facial features and overall design could have been done way better my Stan Winston.     SPOILER:  I guess what bothered me the most was how sudden the other Predators died.  Celtic put up a good fight, but the first Pred didn't have a chance.  Human gore was lacking also.  Chestbursting was the only real gore, but even that had limited blood.  No skinned bodies, decapitations, or jaws punching through human faces.  If anything, I felt the movie was over too fast.  Only an hour and 27 minutes.  It seemed as though A TON of footage was cut from the movie.  Perhaps all of the cut scenes would have satisfied one's taste for gore from a true Alien or Predator fan.  5 Predators in the hunt would have made the movie more appealing, even if the creatures without their masks looked nothing like the 1st two Predator films.  END SPOILER::  My only hope is that a director's cut DVD will be available in the future.  Till then, my blaim for my disappointment goes mainly to FOX and not so much as Anderson.  If the director's cut is just as disappointing, then Anderson will be equal with FOX on my shit list.

ismguy

ismguy

hell alien ill agree with ya on most of your report.  very thorough.   the sets where amazing.  they did a great job of making a mixture of cultures in one pyramid.  also the fixture that held the queen looked very Giger like.  The preds where ok.  not as agile as i would have like to seen them but they did have fairly different styles.  the unmasked ones looked fairly ok too.  the aliens style of movement was excellent.  they crawled, creeped, pounced, and over all kicked the most ass in the movie.  they definitely didnt go down easy.  the queen is the prize of this movie in my opinion.  they must have spent most of their money there.  and the sets.  the queen was amazing in movement and style.  very very very scary.  this was the only time during the movie i was on the edge of my seat with excitement.   the character evolution wasnt done all that well.  It started doing fine then just kind of tapered off.  the predator invisibility was awesome.  there is a shot of blood on invisible claws that just rocked.  another excellent job was the alien sticking the pred through and lifting him as his cloak fades.  this was a beautiful CG shot that i think should go down as one of the coolest ever.  to bad there werent more this good.  my two biggest complaints though: 1: the alien life cycle.  a big WTF.  it only seems to take minutes.  didnt use to take atleast a day.  or so.  right?   this really made me take away credibility points.  not sticking to something like this was a big no no.   screwing this up for time restraints.   aweful.  2:another is the gore issue.  i dont like excessive gore.  it makes a movie seem cheap and just downright corny.  i didnt mind this was gonna pg13, i said hey give it a chance.  but they really should have included the alien gore we are used to.  it just didnt seem like the same genre of movies.  also the cutting of the shots to omit the gore really messed with the tempo of some scenes.  the gore that was shown i didnt dig either.  just kind of silly stuff.  so that is my two scents.  Euro fans need not worry its still pretty cool and if you are a fan you will like most of the movie.

btw.  i hate when people say the book was better but i have to say this about the AVP.  if they would have stuck to that screenplay I think even critics would have gotten into it a bit more.

jevjnd2000

jevjnd2000

I would say that it's about a 6 or a 7, certainly not the classic that the first predator is.  
Spoiler
They also did not do any justice to the predator they killed them off so fast.
[close]
.  Maybe a sequel will be better, it wasn't a bad movie, but surely not what we all hoped for.

AdamJZ

AdamJZ

It was worth the wait to me, I really liked it.

WTF

WTF

well personally I know there are more pred fans than alien fans.  The whole f**king theater would cheer when the pred kill an alien.  It's kind of the same way again for me. I'm a sox fan and everyone is a cub fan.  Its like the world is against me.  But does it really matter that the preds died early?  Preds i guess to everyone  is way better than alien. WRONG.  Alien in the pc game can kill with one tail it.  Just because preds have high powered weapons doesn't makes them better.  Think of vietnam.  We were superior but we lost.  Aliens can wipe out a planet with in a week.

leftcoastpunk08

leftcoastpunk08

Okay now here is my AvP movie review: a very low 7 out of 10  Good: The story was good, the acting wasn't terrible (though some lines towards the end of the movie were cheesy) The SFX were excellent, the action was top notch, the human deaths were pretty okay, even though it was toned downed for Pg 13. The movie wasn't boring, the Queen was awesome. The predator's cloaking and new weapons were great. The flashbacks were sweet.  Bad: The whole Lex teaming up with Scar was poorly executed. The predators didn't move like predators half the time. (Though I liked the sequence when the Preds looked at each other and started running through the hall of the pyramid) Only a few alien and predator battle scenes.  Overall the whole movie from the beginning towards the end of the middle was awesome.  THe whole teaming up thing ruined the predator's image. Worked well in the books but was poorly done in the movie. The good thing is, the last battle with the Queen saved it for me.

Ermac

Ermac

Still crying.

I think I'll buy the uncut DVD rather than see this watered down version. It's just not meant to be viewed like that.  Yet one can't help but fell sorry for Paul Anderson. At least he tried. I'm gonna cry again...

Revenant

Revenant

>>>>SPOILERS GALORE<<<<<  After just watching the movie...I have this to say.  I am a huge fan of the Alien series, and a pretty big fan of Predator. For an indicator of how long I have been a fan of the series, I will tell you first off that I saw Aliens when it came out on video tape in the late 80s and saw Alien 3 in theatres, I obviously saw Alien after its mid-70's release, and it scared me like few movies have ever been able to do since. I saw Predator later, and very much regard it as a good movie, in that it told a well thought-out story, had excellent characters, and an original plot, not to mention a great villain. Both of these series of movies were obviously adult-oriented. AVP, however, looks to me like it was tailor-made for fans(or recent fans) of The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. This movie is obviously made for kids ages 8-15, because I believe they are they only ones who will be writing positive reviews of this movie.  I believe a making a good movie means telling a good story, and telling it well. This movie has neither a good story, or, as it seems, a good story teller. What made Alien and Aliens stand out as excellent movies was the fact that Ridley Scott and James Cameron are superb story tellers, which means they make movies that resonate with the audience. The characters in the movie(AVP) are, at best, instantly forgettable, and the dialogue is stupid, unoriginal, and gives no indication any of the characters have a personality. Anderson makes a very feeble attempt to get you to care a little about Lex and Sebastian by giving them each(and a few other characters) painfully boring monologues about "My dad died on a mountain, blah blah here, clich

El Diablo

El Diablo

MILD SPOILERS....  I agree that the Lex/Scar team-up was poorly done. Visually, it didn't have the impact I was hoping it would. Whenever the camera had to add Sanna Lathan in the same frame as the Predator he looked like a man in a suit, especially during the "running" scenes. It also happened too quickly and too easily and seemed way out of character for a Predator that just slaughtered many of her human comrades. Once they formed an alliance the movie kind of went downhill for me. Still, it wasn't a horrible movie (some of these reviews are getting savage) and at it's worst it is simply mediocre. The lamest parts to the movie were no worse than that of the Devlin/Emmerich sci-fi of Stargate or ID4. Entertaining but not a classic by any means.

AdamJZ

AdamJZ

What is wrong with the world!!!!!!!!!!! I loved this movie, I was expecting to come home to positive reviews. but as ripley says  "Did IQ's just drop shortly while I was away?"

Funk Master Shake

Funk Master Shake

How do you know the name of the predators?

OberonQA

OberonQA

Ok... I'm off to see this movie (decided to catch the 5pm showing instead of the 3pm showing).  Before I go though... let me say one thing.  This movie is called Alien vs Predator.  Considering the title, one cannot expect startling revelations or top-notch storytelling.  Each of the Alien films added something to the Alien mythos.  The same can be said about the two predator films (it wasn't until Danny Glover received an ancient pistol that the Predators came to earth many times.)   With this film, what did you all expect?  Did you expect to see a King Alien (or Praetorian if your fans of the games)?  Did you expect to see earth-shattering revelations about the Predators?  If so... you've watched the wrong movie.  Wait for Alien 5 or Predator 3 if you want that.  This movie is about Aliens and Predators fighting each other.  It has never been about anything else but Aliens and Predators fighting each other.  All this commentary on bad acting, poorly designed Predator faces, ultra-fast Alien gestation cycle, etc is pretty juvenile in my opinion.  It's almost as if all these bad reviews are from people that fell victim not to the 20th Century Fox hype machine... but their own hype.  It's almost as if they made assumptions about what AvP should and should not be and when they saw the movie, the were disappointed because it didn't have what *THEY* thought it should have while completely ignoring (or at least disregarding) what the movie DOES have.  90% of the reviews I've read follow either this theory or the "Anderson is a jackass because ####" theory.  That's all fine and well... but these people really need to take a long hard look at other "Vs" films.  Godzilla vs <<whatever>> or the slew of "Vs" movies Universal put out in their heyday.  None of those movies were thick on story.  They were thick on action because that was the point of the movie.  ACTION... not STORY.  Enough ranting on my part... I'll come back and write my own review later on this evening...

And btw, the Aliens have a gestation period of a couple of 6-9 hours.  From the time Kane was facehugged to the time the chestburster came out, about 6-9 hours had passed (1 hour walk from the Derelict to the Nostromo lander, 4-5 hours repair on the lander before leaving LV-426, and a few hours once the crew is back in space.).  In Alien3, it was about the same length of time (from the time the dog was facehugged to the time the dog-Alien was born.)  In Alien Resurrection, the "hosts" were facehugged during the day (lots of activity on the Auriga at the time the cargo arrived) and were "born" that night (the crew were relaxing and the captain of the ship was polishing his boots in a military-derived ritual before going to bed).  I have no idea where the idea of an Alien taking a full day to go from facehugger to chestburster came from, but it's not accurate.

Saint Sinner

Saint Sinner

I know why people are complaining about Scar's face -- it's very different. But it had a lot of detail, something I wasn't expecting at all. I thought it would look all "plasticy," and it didn't. The extra teeth and bigger mandibles, including the length of the face, give him a very different look -- but you get used to it, especially in the shots where he begins to "roar" and stuff. I liked it after I got used to it.  The Elder also looked like a bad-ass and the McFarlane figure is WAY off, IMO. He doesn't have the extra teeth from what I saw, but he had something near those fangs I think that I didn't notice on the previous one's. He wasn't the barbarian-esque trophy-whore Elder in Predator 2 (still one of my fav Preds) he was more regal, almost like a king. I definitely dug the end sequence.

J

J

So basically what your all saying was that it   was good but not mind blowing - crazy ass wicked right??     still got to see it thought   8)  

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed