Paul Anderson Q&A Updates

Started by Darkness, Jul 27, 2004, 10:52:28 PM

Author
Paul Anderson Q&A Updates (Read 8,534 times)

Darkness

Darkness

Two more question and answers have been added to the AvP Xtreme Desktop this evening. And no, unfortunately, Paul Anderson either wasn’t available to comment or just didn’t want to comment on the film’s certificate. Instead, the first question is about the film’s score while the second is about how the creature sound effects were made for both the alien and the predator:

“All Predator and Alien sounds were gathered especially for AVP using the latest digital recording technology. A specially developed tungsten carbide microphone was built for our sound designers that could deal with the high level of noise each of the species made and ensured a high degree of protection from various acidic fluids they excreted. Most of the Alien recordings were made early in the morning in the open usually from one of the various reinforced compounds they were kept in during filming.”

The questions answered in full are on the next page.
Thanks to TheOutcast for the news.

2004-07-15 – Aliens rule in the end! from Delaware

Q) One of the things that I feel the 3rd and 4th Alien films lacked was some of the original score from both Alien and Aliens. Will this film have the classic tunes from Alien, Aliens, and Predator as well as some new score material?

A) We are not re-using score from Alien, Aliens and Predator but we are heavily influenced by them. The score for AVP will fuse the desolation and sparseness of the original Alien, with the kick ass feel of the action cues from Aliens and Predator 1.

2004-07-15 – breezedude from Rialto, California

Q) The sound effects for the predator and alien are incredible. How were the predator linguistics and sound effects for the alien created?

A) Recording sound for AVP:
All Predator and Alien sounds were gathered especially for AVP using the latest digital recording technology. A specially developed tungsten carbide microphone was built for our sound designers that could deal with the high level of noise each of the species made and ensured a high degree of protection from various acidic fluids they excreted. Most of the Alien recordings were made early in the morning in the open usually from one of the various reinforced compounds they were kept in during filming. Essentially Aliens are more dangerous at night, so recording them in the early morning sun allowed a degree of safety for the sound designers as the Aliens were at their least active period. In order to get the full range of vocal noises Aliens produce, the microphone was hidden inside a turkey and swung from a boom arm 20ft above the compound. Turkeys are the Alien equivalent of our bar snacks, and they become very animated and vocal when one was swung out of reach above their heads. After a couple of weeks enough material was gathered for the film and could be sent back to the sound rooms for further sonic enhancement.

The queen proved to be a tricky customer for additional sound work, as she needed to be kept at low temperatures in an industrial freezer, which unfortunately was too noisy to make any recordings. Fortunately, she took an instant dislike to our German editor who kept running dangerously close to her eggs during rehearsals allowing us to get plenty of new growls and roars.

Predators need to be decloaked for any recordings to take place, which presented one huge problem if anyone came near them with a microphone as they immediately cloak into attack mode making recording futile. Fortunately a Predator spear left on this planet several years ago had a radio microphone hidden inside it and tactfully left near a predator ship. The spear was taken on board by one of the Predators and noises picked up by the spear were burnt onto CD at the satellite receiving station used in the movie.

How to make an Alien cry:

Alien growls and roars are made from a wide selection of sounds. The main element in any alien cry is generally a pig squeal. Depending on what an alien is doing a variety of other sounds can be added to this. The palette of sound used on AVP included snakes, zebras, monkeys, horses, the human voice, and even a rabbit. All these sounds were synthesised together and the pitch and length were altered to fit the picture. Further processing was used to disguise the characteristic of the original sound. Depending on the situation low frequency or sub-bass sounds were added to give power to the sound. These were made mainly from slowed down human noises recorded by the sound team which were combined with pitch shifted animal calls. At any point a choice of three different sounds could be drawn upon to create the necessary power required for the shot.

How to make a predator purr:

Predator sounds were recreated from scratch, but had to retain the recognizable language of purrs and clicks defined by previous films with a more updated feel. The distinctive clicking sound is created when someone vibrates their throat whilst trying to immatate a cat purr, or gargling. To enhance this sound recordings were made with various liquids in the sound teams mouths to give different tonal qualities. After this process, the sounds were changed in pitch and length then enhanced using a sonic resonator, which made them bright enough to cut through in the mix. These calls were then merged with a variety of animal sounds such as Tigers, Lions and Elephant roars which gave them a more bassier warrior type of sound.

G-Dog

G-Dog

He ain't gonna say crap......he knows whats up.

SaNdMaNxX

SaNdMaNxX

nop no he wont that BIATCH

G-Dog

G-Dog

I think he is going to avoid that question. I hope not though,  I want to know what he has to say about it.  And WHO THE HELL CARES about how they made the sounds of the Predator or Alien damn it? Like there weren't any better questions than those?    >:D  

J

J

This man mosdef. has his head screwed on correct. He seems to know this film inside out and knows EXACTLY how to produce the right pitch sounds.  Its even more fitting that he always kept using the influences of which the original movies were best at, simply great.  ALREADY I FEEL THAT THIS FILM HAS ' CLASSIC ' WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.   ;D    Now FOX, after the movies sucess don't let us have to wait years and YEARS for the sequel!

MechanizuM

MechanizuM

AVOID what question ???

G-Dog

G-Dog

Avoid the rating question.

J

J

What is it about ' fans ' that like trashing the guy for all sorts of reasons and then when any type of new footage is released your all phrasing him, licking his bottom out good and proper. YUK!  G-Dog, AM DEFINATELY SURPRISED AT YOU BRO! theres only so much P.A. can say about the film without releaseing too much information ( besides, thats why his doing that special on FOX )   Everything this guy says is upon this movie is news.  DAMN! HE MADE THIS MOVIE, ITS UP TO HIM WHAT HE WANTS TO SAY PRYER TO THE FILM!  ( don't worry bro, still respect ya,    ;D  )

CelticPredator

CelticPredator

i wanted to know how they made a predator prr. he has no explation for the pg13 rating, plus he cant say that cuz the fox people wont let him, its not his desktop its fox's. paul rules, and we know it cuz he made this movie with respect. so stop trashing him.

El Demonio Cazador

El Demonio Cazador

I thought his answer was really funny... I'm still laughing!! but....it's a clvere way to avoid our true concerns.... PG 13... Come on Paul... Do you have the balls to accept that you did it more for the money and the credit  than for the fans?  I hope he doesn't answer: "Well...Fox turned the Alien Queen against me so I really didn't have a choice...besides... the Union of Preds almost went on strike because they didn't got to kill as many humans as they would've liked... so It was a though decision for me....."  Dumbass.....

HexPredator

HexPredator

I feel sorry for that turkey    :-\  ....oh and that German guy too.

Galmorzu

Galmorzu

I have to say that I thought these questions were pretty interesting, too.  I love this kind of technical stuff, and so would the average person checking this out, I'd imagine.  The typical movie-goer isn't going to be looking up a Q&A and say, "Alright, now why didn't the bastard rate it R!  My life is ruined."  No, they want to know neat behind the scenes stuff, and this is just like what they did for the first Jurassic Park, and like I said, I love this type of behind-the-scenes information.  Also, I'm thinking Exorcist got an NC-17 rating because, oh I dunno, it deals with SATAN??  (Thank you Dana Carvey!)

Galmorzu

Galmorzu

lol, that aprt about the German editor had me chuckling.     8)  

G-Dog

G-Dog

A man's got to take a hit sometime bro. J, got me on that one dawg. Just curiosity bittin' at me you know? its all good though. And CelticPredator, screw you....  just playing, all good man, we'll back off your homie, its not like he did a fuc-ed up job with the movie. We'll see the outcome of it.

Galmorzu, NO SHIT it deals with satan! I expected an R rating for Ex, to tell you the truth even though it deals with the above. That it is being rated NC-17 got me by surprise still. (don't as me why it just did damn it!    ???    )

Galmorzu

Galmorzu

G-Dog:  Yeah, but I just couldn't help but make that Dana reference (Church Lady).  It just seemd like the perfect opportunity.     ;D    Wasn't the first one rated NC-17, though?  Or maybe it was the last one?  I saw a couple of the in-between ones and they weren't that bad at all (pretty tame actually)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed