Mass Effect

Started by Space Sweeper, Dec 12, 2010, 01:46:57 AM

Author
Mass Effect (Read 418,215 times)

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 09, 2015, 04:10:34 AM
Quote from: Sabby on Feb 07, 2015, 04:32:31 PM
No, it doesn't work that way. No matter how hard you think about it, you can't just change whats happening on screen and change the meaning of Sheps words. You can certainly give it context in your head, but you cannot change it. No matter what kind of character I make, my choices of dialogue still come across as that of a commanding but simplistic person.

It wouldn't be a problem for me if the villains weren't always far more intelligent. It makes me hard to side with Shep. I mean... she's right. Illusive Man is a bag of dicks and Shep should punch his face in. But listening to the two of them talk to each other, I feel embarrassed to side with Shep.

Well, it does work that way. Video games, RPG's especially are a slightly more grown up version of playing make believe.

Why do you keep insisting this? Sorry, but you're just wrong. Yes, this is true for most RPGs, because your character is mute and has the most basic text replies. That isn't the case here. Shep is a character, with emotion, emphasis and opinions. The fact you can somewhat tailor what direction her speeches go in does not mean everything she says is your choice.

Shep does not speak as an extension of me. My control of her is like coaching more then anything. I can suggest an angle to go in from, but I can't write her script for her.

Gate

Gate

But that's like, your opinion man.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Sabby on Feb 09, 2015, 08:34:25 AM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 09, 2015, 04:10:34 AM
Quote from: Sabby on Feb 07, 2015, 04:32:31 PM
No, it doesn't work that way. No matter how hard you think about it, you can't just change whats happening on screen and change the meaning of Sheps words. You can certainly give it context in your head, but you cannot change it. No matter what kind of character I make, my choices of dialogue still come across as that of a commanding but simplistic person.

It wouldn't be a problem for me if the villains weren't always far more intelligent. It makes me hard to side with Shep. I mean... she's right. Illusive Man is a bag of dicks and Shep should punch his face in. But listening to the two of them talk to each other, I feel embarrassed to side with Shep.

Well, it does work that way. Video games, RPG's especially are a slightly more grown up version of playing make believe.

Why do you keep insisting this? Sorry, but you're just wrong. Yes, this is true for most RPGs, because your character is mute and has the most basic text replies. That isn't the case here. Shep is a character, with emotion, emphasis and opinions. The fact you can somewhat tailor what direction her speeches go in does not mean everything she says is your choice.

Shep does not speak as an extension of me. My control of her is like coaching more then anything. I can suggest an angle to go in from, but I can't write her script for her.

I'm insisting it because its right, when you play a video game you do it to escape reality, children do it on the playground all the time.  If you're playing video games and not losing your self in them to some degree then you're just wasting your time.
The whole point of having the dialogue options is to pick the one that is closest to what you would say or do in that particular moment. Shepard is supposed to speak as an extension of you because you are supposed to be him. Garrus is a character, Grunt is a character, Jack is a character, TIM, Saren, Sovereign and Harbinger are characters. Shepard is the player.

Maybe you just don't play video games like a normal person?

Sabby

Sabby

What the hell are you even talking about now? We weren't discussing immersion, we were talking about how much control you have over Sheps actions. Leave the goalposts where they are please.

If you honestly think Shep acts the way you want her to, then you're just wrong. You don't write her dialogue and you don't choose how much of a meathead she is or isn't. Someone wrote her lines, someone else voiced them, and you choose what flavor of meatheadedness comes out at the end.

Saying "Oh, she's just a meathead because you made her one" is a bullshit argument.

Edit:
QuoteMaybe you just don't play video games like a normal person?

So thinking Shep has characterization independent of the players choice means I'm not a normal gamer? Right, drown yourself.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I wasn't talking about immersion  ::)

Well my Shepard did do everything I wanted him to because I'm the one that chose what to say and what to do...you saying I'm "just wrong" doesn't really work.
I've been trying to explain that you're supposed to choose the options and actions/speech that best suit you. Are they perfect representations of what I would say or do? No, but you have no choice but to work within what the game gives you. Those choices aren't as bad as you're making them out to be. It sounds like you're irked that the game's dialogue options are scripted, and if that's the case maybe you shouldn't play them to begin with?
You obviously did play your Shepard as a meat head, you don't know how to use that word or you aren't giving me enough context to go off of.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 10, 2015, 07:42:56 AM
I'm insisting it because its right, when you play a video game you do it to escape reality, children do it on the playground all the time.  If you're playing video games and not losing your self in them to some degree then you're just wasting your time.

This has nothing at all to do with the writing of Sheps dialogue. You just started talking about losing yourself in a game without any relevance to what we were talking about. If you expect me to chase you around just because you decided to steal the goal posts, it's not happening.

QuoteWell my Shepard did do everything I wanted him to because I'm the one that chose what to say and what to do...you saying I'm "just wrong" doesn't really work.

Did you though? Did you really choose the reason for Shep to yell at Illusive Man, or did you just say "Yell at Illusive Man" and Sheps predetermined characterization took over? You control the path of dialogue, but you have absolutely zero say in how she says things. Stop saying you do, because you just don't.

QuoteYou obviously did play your Shepard as a meat head, you don't know how to use that word or you aren't giving me enough context to go off of.

Oh please, I've played all three games several times and seen all of her dialogue, and she's always a f**king thug, the only control I ever had of her thuggishness was how much dickishness to add. Whether a Paragon or a Renegade, you do not choose her character. You choose the angle to take in a conversation, but you do not choose how she speaks. You can insist she does as much as you want, but until I see some gameplay from you to prove it, I'll just have to side with my multiple playthroughs worth of experience here.

Geez, every time I point out Shep isn't a straight up self insert, people get so defensive. It's almost as if they're afraid they'll realize they don't have the connection with her they think they do. Funny, that.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

You're obviously not understanding what I'm saying.
How are you going to tell me I didn't choose the options when I'm the one that clicked on them? I obviously have control over what options I chose, which is what I've tried to say to you in my last three replies.
You choose the option that best suits you

QuoteI've been trying to explain that you're supposed to choose the options and actions/speech that best suit you. Are they perfect representations of what I would say or do? No, but you have no choice but to work within what the game gives you.

QuoteYou choose the angle to take in a conversation, but you do not choose how she speaks.

We basically said the same thing here, I agreed with you on that. You're just not reading what I'm saying. It seems like you're too busy trying to win some argument you think is going on to actually read what I post. You shared your opinion, I shared mine. My issue isn't with what your opinion is, I could care less because its yours and you're entitled to it, and I personally had no issues with the game. You got on my nerves when you said I was wrong about my interpretation of a video game character, that everyone who plays the game plays differently, chooses their own back story for, their own romances for, even their own off duty outfit for.

Stop taking shit so personally dude.

Sabby

Sabby

QuoteHow are you going to tell me I didn't choose the options when I'm the one that clicked on them? I obviously have control over what options I chose, which is what I've tried to say to you in my last three replies.

...What? When? You complain I don't understand your position, and pull this? Sorry, I'm not going to chase you around while you contort into a mental pretzel trying to find a reason to be upset. Fine, you're correct, Shepherd is totally the girl you tell her to be and has no characterization outside of what you want.

Cognitive Dissonance sure is fun. I'm out.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Sabby on Feb 10, 2015, 05:33:28 PM
QuoteHow are you going to tell me I didn't choose the options when I'm the one that clicked on them? I obviously have control over what options I chose, which is what I've tried to say to you in my last three replies.

...What? When? You complain I don't understand your position, and pull this? Sorry, I'm not going to chase you around while you contort into a mental pretzel trying to find a reason to be upset. Fine, you're correct, Shepherd is totally the girl you tell her to be and has no characterization outside of what you want.

Cognitive Dissonance sure is fun. I'm out.

You're amazing you know that Sabby? Only read what you want to read and make it say what you want it to say.

Gate

Gate

The developers keep teasing us like little nerds on twitter.

Also I found this goldmine of a blog:

http://masseffecttranscribed.tumblr.com/

Darkness

Darkness

Mass Effect Andromeda announced for Holiday 2016. Announcement Trailer:

Gate

Gate

It showed me nothing and I already came.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I was hesitant because I love the characters of the first three games, but that got me super stoked for Andromeda

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Andromeda?  Did the reapers build mass relays there too??

Gate

Gate

Literally
Spoiler
shove the entire SSV Normandy up my ass
[close]
I'm ready for this game.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed