Favorite Alien?

Started by #6.0, Aug 23, 2010, 08:15:07 AM

Not taking design into account, which lead Alien, one important to the story, not cannon fodder was your favorite?

Giger, Alien
19 (50%)
Queen, Aliens
8 (21.1%)
Runner, Alien3
5 (13.2%)
Grid, AVP
2 (5.3%)
Queen, AVP
0 (0%)
Chet, AVPR
2 (5.3%)
Newborn, AR, Do not pick this one to be funny. I just have to let it in. Apperently.
2 (5.3%)
They are all the same to me.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author
Favorite Alien? (Read 18,291 times)

#6.0

#6.0

Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2010, 03:54:57 AM
The key word being 'justified'.

Exactly.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 27, 2010, 01:25:58 AM
I tohught thats what YOU're doing by saying that the alien cant make more eggs.
I'm saying it doesn't because it can't -- you're saying it doesn't because it's an idiot. One requires a much narrower leap in logic than the other.

Quotehe makes 2 eggs
The end. He has reproduced. He's done his job. He's left more children than there were adults, so he's increased the population at the same time.

Every animal seeks to reproduce and survive, yes -- that doesn't mean they give birth at every available opportunity.

QuoteNo but as I said, you do become smarter with age
Only through your experiences. And the Alien's experiences involved crawling around a starship stalking six people. It can only learn so much doing this.

QuoteBut I dont believe its bewildered and confused like youre making it out to be.
I never said it was. You're putting words in my mouth. I never once mentioned confused or bewildered -- just that it was ignorant. Which it is. Confusion and bewilderment implies that this ignorance bothers the creature. I have never said nor implied that.

QuoteIt knew where to run seconds after the birth.
Seconds after birth it bolted off a table and was never seen again until it became an adult. The skin Brett finds shows it didn't immediately go into the vents.

But knowing to nest in a dark, secluded part of the ship, or running around the air ducts -- these are things it can learn because its environment allows it to. It can discover that the vents go to other rooms. Nesting in certain kinds of places is instinctual.

None of what it can possibly do in its short time on the ship would tell it about explosions, scuttle procedures, or the concept of life-boats jettisoning from interstellar spacecraft.

Calling it ignorant isn't an insult, it's stating a fact. And quoting O'Bannon.

Humans are plenty smart. Babies can't make cars.

samoht

samoht

^ True that

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed