Sylizar's Art Thread (Full of Wonder and Magic and Scary Stuff)

Started by Sylizar, Aug 03, 2010, 08:19:46 PM

Author
Sylizar's Art Thread (Full of Wonder and Magic and Scary Stuff) (Read 12,367 times)

Sylizar

Sylizar

Yeah, they're kind of like, weird insect style legs that shift around and somewhat resemble a rib cage. That's also why you don't see the sharper parts, they're bent inwards. I imagined they'd be used to split his chest in half for some purpose, but I'm undecided. There's a decent view of them in one of my anatomy diagrams. If you've seen the Mist, the Giant Creature has "similar" legs on his stomach, to a lesser extent. As seen here: http://www.warproductions.com/images/portfolio/bigfootCreature.jpg

And thanks. Legion was a bit of an inspiration for the horn :D

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Ah, I take it now. They looked like Spider Legs but I wasn't quite sure. Maybe they open to reveal a Sylizar egg? :P

Sylizar

Sylizar

Yeah, spider-y legs are a pretty good description. Can't believe that didn't come to mind.

As for the egg idea, maybe ;) Basically as of now, that's either an alternate egg layer, the place to shoot his "beam"from, or just a creepy looking "ribcage" that tentacles hang from.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I'd go for the last. The "beam" sounds too Japanese, unless you are going for something like that.

Sylizar

Sylizar

Yeah, I'll probably just stick with the ribcage.

But the beam is something I'm working on. I'm trying to keep him moderately Lovecraftian, and moderately realistic, but I want some sort of awesome power that he uses when he's right pissed.

The beam I imagined to be built up raw energy he gets from processing all the nutrients, life force and sun rays he absorbs, and he can just let it loose when necessary. I imagined it being strong to actually physically move his body back unless he really braces himself.

Alternatively, I imagined that he could unleash this energy from those bioluminescent spheres that run down his body, resulting in a massive wave of destruction, but these are just ideas at the moment.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

A nice idea would be that he "spits" a substance from the horn (or whatever you want) that upon contact with atmosphere undergoes a chemical reaction that transforms it into something else, maybe a heat wave, or green flames..
The bioluminescent spheres are a really nice addition. After Outlander I just love Bioluminescent monsters. What color did you want to make them? Purple or green would be great if you ask me.
Absorbing sun rays could mean the critter is an Alien with Earth plant traits, so some receptors on the back or wherever you want do the job and possibly eliminate the need for eating from the mouth (it can anyway be used as a form of defense though, or as a secondary way to ingest nutrients in some cases).

Sylizar

Sylizar

Perhaps.

As for the spheres, I agree. Bioluminescent creatures rule. On the color, I was imagining blue, but it all depends. Sylizar is capable of altering his color, so maybe they change with him.

The big tubes on his back might be able to assist in absorbing the suns rays, although some things I'm going to leave somewhat ambiguous. On the topic of eating, that is true. His mouth is an excellent way to absorb a massive amount of things (such as oxygen) when he wishes to. Of course absorbing is a rather nice way to put it, sometimes I like to say steal ;)

Sylizar

Sylizar

Do you want me to add the rest of the Sylizar pics? Or have you seen them already?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I've seen pretty much all the "stages" of the critter and really like them. I like how they fit into each other nicely and you get the idea they are the same creature... evolving, somewhat. I imagine them doing the same roar as the Predalien. It'd fit them. Now the link goes to the Game roar but the one used in AvPR would be better for the first part. That low, remixed Predator growl. To be sincere, I would have loved to see one of them doing shit-all in a Cloverfield-like film. Some seem to be the thing the Monster in Cloverfield tried to be but failed.

...I suggest you to buy some bigass scanner sometimes, too. :P ;D ;D

Sylizar

Sylizar

Thanks, that actually means a lot to me man  :) As for the roar, that's an idea, soething similar to that would be pretty epic. I'm still working on it, but it's a good suggestion.

Yeah, what I always imagine, is Cloverfield style stuff (but not handheld), but on a MUCH more epic scale. Sort of lke Independence Day, War of the Worlds and Cloverfield mixed in with a dash of Godzilla.

Do they make huge scanners? I don't think I've every actually seen one much bigger than mine.

Also, I uploaded two more head ideas as well as minorly updated versions of the evolution stages if you haven't seen them yet. Probably'll do one more version of that head before I think of other things.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Uh...
If you have already a big scanner what I suggest to do is to reproduce line per line the entire drawing on a smaller scale, on a paper that'd fit the size of the scanner, or to buy a graphic board and draw it directly on photoshop or any other graphic program.
Regarding the new drawings, really cool. I f'in love the teeth. Although I prefer the older eyes (v2), they look more primordial and how to say, distorted. But those new ones are really sweet indeed. They look pissed off. Now that I think of it, you could add some further details to the horn, because it looks too flat compared to the rest of the body, full of all kinds of details. You could do some little crests on it, little and random little horns or protuberances that grow out of it (sort of mutated looking), some carvings with a distinct subtle drawing into it, or again make it something particular, make it open like a grotesque flower to reveal something.

Also, while browsing your DA profile, I found those "Defiler of Innocence" drawings that are really sweet. Almost lovecraftian.

Sylizar

Sylizar

Don't know about the scanner. It's not very big, but I've never really found any bigger.

Thanks man. I love both eyes, and I think a mix of both may be in order. And I'll try and work on the horn on that picture I'm doing today.

Yeah, the Defiler. Funny how he started as a bit of a joke character too.

Sylizar

Sylizar

Meh, procrastination strike. Gonna wait 'till the weekend before I do the next drawing. In the meanwhile, if anyone wants to give any suggestions, be free. Also, I think it'd be cool to see some people's take on Sylizar. I know a few people I'd love to see try *coughcoughSpaghetticoughcough* :D

Sylizar

Sylizar

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Sylizar on Nov 09, 2010, 04:24:09 AM
Two quick sketches I did over the weekend.

http://sylizar.deviantart.com/#/d32gxan

http://sylizar.deviantart.com/#/d32gxfp
Awesome. I love the little eyes, they almost look like insect ocelli.
The last one is damn amazing. You should use it as your avatar.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed