Battle of the Heroes: Dutch vs Harrigan

Started by Royce, Jan 11, 2010, 10:22:26 AM

In your own personal view, who made the better hero who went up against a Predator?

Dutch
55 (75.3%)
Harrigan
18 (24.7%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author
Battle of the Heroes: Dutch vs Harrigan (Read 10,551 times)

Xeros Kore

In order to answer this question, we must first define what a "hero" is.  For me, a hero is someone who performs altruistically.  He is looking out for the betterment of others before himself.  If this is the deciding factor, I would have to give it to Dutch.

In Predator, when it turns out that it wasn't a rescue mission, it is clear that Dutch is unhappy.  He doesn't view himself as a mindless killer - he and his team go in to rescue those who need help.  Throughout the movie, Dutch is completely focused on the survival of his team.  He offers HIMSELF as bait for the trap, kicks a gun out from Anna's hands so the Pred doesn't focus on her, and we all know "GET TO THA CHOPPA!"

Harrigan, on the other hand, is out for Revenge.  At the beginning of the film, while the Predator is only hunting down the scum of the city, Harrigan and his crew joke about giving it a job.  After Danny is killed, Harrigan doesn't care about anything other than revenge.  He does not care who gets hurt in the process.  He does encourage the others to back off from the chase, but it was not because he was worried about them, it was because this was HIS fight, and HE wanted to make the Predator pay.

So, while both are Badass, I definitely see Dutch as a true hero, while Harrigan was more on a vendetta.

superdeathpredator

Dutch killed a pred with his own hands! Nuff said. well acually arrows... and traps... but u get the point!

Royce

Quote from: superdeathpredator on Feb 22, 2010, 12:26:07 AM
Dutch killed a pred with his own hands! Nuff said. well acually arrows... and traps... but u get the point!

Truth be told, Dutch didn't kill the Predator. He defeated it, yes but didn't kill it.

superdeathpredator

Quote from: Royce on Feb 22, 2010, 03:08:52 AM
Quote from: superdeathpredator on Feb 22, 2010, 12:26:07 AM

Truth be told, Dutch didn't kill the Predator. He defeated it, yes but didn't kill it.
oh yeah.. well he did defeat it though.

Vox Echelon

Vox Echelon

How can anybody say Dutch was lucky when it came to the tree-trap?

He built the bloody thing himself, its not like it just appeared out of nowhere!

I went with Arnie because he was a TOTAL bad-ass! I do like Harrigan, but he used the Predators own weaponry against him, and the Predator was way too reckless to reach Anytime's standards.

Dutch>Anytime>Harrigan>Pussyface

Salt The Fries

Who's Harrigan ???

EDIT: That sums it up the best, I had to google it to remind myself that it was Danny's Glover character in Predator 2.

Xeros Kore

Quote from: Vox Echelon on Feb 27, 2010, 09:04:31 AM

He built the bloody thing himself, its not like it just appeared out of nowhere!

I went with Arnie because he was a TOTAL bad-ass! I do like Harrigan, but he used the Predators own weaponry against him, and the Predator was way too reckless to reach Anytime's standards.

Dutch did get lucky.  From what I gathered, the log falling was actually just the counterweight to the REAL trap (the spiked branch).  Thats why there is suspense when the pred sees the trap and goes around to the other side.  He got lucky in that Anytime just HAPPENED to stand right beneath the log

Vox Echelon

Quote from: Xeros Kore on Feb 28, 2010, 04:58:08 PM
Quote from: Vox Echelon on Feb 27, 2010, 09:04:31 AM

Dutch did get lucky.  From what I gathered, the log falling was actually just the counterweight to the REAL trap (the spiked branch).  That's why there is suspense when the pred sees the trap and goes around to the other side.  He got lucky in that Anytime just HAPPENED to stand right beneath the log

I would hardly call that luck, he still made the trap so therefor he had a part in the defeat of Anytime.

DamnBirds

Quote from: HannibalKing on Feb 15, 2010, 11:37:47 AM
The difference is that Dutch was getting his ass kicked by a healthy all-in-one piece Predator while he had no weapon. Harrigan on the other hand had a weapon and was fighting a Predator that was missing a forearm and which was shot to hell.
Truth.

My vote goes to Dutch.

OpenMaw

This is a rather ridiculous poll... In both instances you have such dynamic sets of circumstance its hard to say who did better.

Besides I think we're all missing what the question being asked actually is... Who is the better(Quality) hero?

Well a hero should be believable, relatable, someone the audience is on par with for most if not all the story... Both of these characters have that going for them. Though Harrigan is at a disadvantadge for some of us because we saw the first film and know about the Predator already... Whereas with Dutch we learn with him what the strengths and weaknesses of the Predator are.

I cant really pick honestly. In both instances the heroes won out by the skin of their asses.

superdeathpredator

I just saw predator 2 and I changed my mind I like them both

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed