I don't want to know.

Started by MadassAlex, Aug 21, 2009, 10:07:44 AM

Author
I don't want to know. (Read 1,796 times)

Jango1201

Jango1201

Quote from: SiL on Aug 21, 2009, 11:35:52 PM
Quotebased off a monster conceived not for the sake of a movie, but for love of art.
The movie was intended as a Roger Corman B-picture. Ridley Scott said, quite flatly, that he just wanted to scare the shit out of people.

The Alien wasn't created for a love of art, it was created to have something people hadn't seen before and scare the pants off of them.

Yea its called Opium ;D

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: MadassAlex on Aug 21, 2009, 10:07:44 AM
I think there's an attitude on these forums and in the fandom in general that's helping kill off this franchise and both of the attached franchises.

It's the attitude of expansion and knowing.

For some reason, many see the answer to the series' woes as adding some kind of new monster or explaining something currently hidden. I have to tell you now: this will not make a good movie or game. Instead, this will constrict the mythos even more and reduce tension within the series. Even James Cameron made this mistake with the Alien Queen, when there didn't need to be an egg-producer because LV-426 already had thousands of eggs. I believe he admitted this mistake, and justified it by noting that the audience probably wanted a climactic final conflict.

A part of the horror is mystery. When you go too deep into the shitty pseudo-science, something is lost. And generally, that's the fear. Because now you know. The nightmare in the shadows is no longer nearly as haunting or vile.

What will make these franchises work again is good writing and nothing else. Going back to the basics would allow the director and writer to place emphasis on the tension and horror rather than unveiling some damned unimpressive failure of a design that should have never been.

I totally agree with you. I'm also one of those who DON'T want to know. The Alien is supposed to be ALIEN to us in every possible way. By simplifying them by shoehorning them into some ant/bug biology frame kind of demystified them, and then when the AvP movies followed we kind of lost it all. A:R at least tried (all though very blatantly) to make the creature Alien to us again by jumbling with the DNA and thus turning this all to familiar creature into something similar but different.

With that said, the last thing I want to see or know anything about when it comes to the Alien is their homeworld (if there is one that is), their origin (creation or evolution), the Space Jockeys and in depth about their way of living (which includes the life-cycle as well).

A good Alien movie in my book should be based on: 1) Great writing. 2) A solid theme. 3) Down-to-earth 'realism' (...those of you here on the forums who are going to call me a fool for talking about realism in sci-fi know exactly what I mean even though they don't want to admit it...) before Hollywood heroism (...simply because the last 20 min in Aliens were pretty damn unrealistic and Hollywoodish).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed