EW: "if you’re going the young-Ripley route, put Ellen Page on speed-dial"

Started by Space Disc Jockey, Aug 02, 2009, 05:38:30 PM

Author
EW: "if you’re going the young-Ripley route, put Ellen Page on speed-dial" (Read 2,722 times)

Space Disc Jockey

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/07/31/ridley-scotts-alien-prequel-whos-gonna-be-the-new-ripley/

Ridley Scott's 'Alien' prequel: Who's gonna be the new Ripley?
by Marc Bernardin
Categories: Film, I'm Just a Geek, Ninjas, Sci-Fi, movie casting

No two ways about it: The news that director Ridley Scott is returning to the Alien franchise — which he started back with the 1979 original — for a prequel is fantastic. After all, Scott is, as Michael Mann once described him to Russell Crowe, "one of the top 2 percent of shooters in the history of cinema." So I'm giddy to see what Scott does with such rich material. (Plus, whatever he comes up with has to be better than Alien vs. Predator 2: The Suckening.) I've got got two questions:

1. What genre will it be? You might think that Alien — given that it's about, you know, an alien — is a science fiction movie. You'd only be partially right. The first film was a horror movie, James Cameron's Aliens was a war movie, David Fincher's Alien3 was a prison flick, and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Alien: Resurrection was, er, a basketball movie. So what's this one going to be? I think it'd be a mistake to go back to the haunted-house-in-outer-space vibe of Alien...which leaves what? Detective story? Revenge thriller? Romcom?

2. Will Ripley be in it? Aside from the aformentioned Alien vs. Predator films, Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley has been the constant in the series. But given that this is a prequel, will she still figure into the proceedings? And if so, how, seeing as Alien documented her first encounter with those acid-for-blood beasties? If Ripley's in it, who'll play her? Weaver may be a stunning woman and a gifted actress, but I don't think she can play a gal in her early 20s. For my money, if you're going the young-Ripley route, put Ellen Page on speed-dial. She definitely looks the part, and she's got some tough-as-nails in there.
========================
Page is a good actress, but as a young Ripley, even if Ripley is in the prequel or not...um, no. lol.

Xenomrph

I hope there's no "young Ripley". For all those fans who bitched about the AvP movies "screwing up continuity", including Ripley in any capacity would utterly annihilate it. Even Sigourney Weaver has recognized that including Ripley in the prequel would make no sense.

SM

Why, in the name of all that is holy would they ever consider going down a "young Ripley" route?

ShadowPred

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Aug 03, 2009, 12:02:33 AM
Why, in the name of all that is holy would they ever consider going down a "young Ripley" route?
This is modern Hollywood we're talking about here. :P

Space Sweeper

Um, okay.. if they even found some way to put Ripley in a prequel in which she did not interact with the Alien at all- not Ellen Page.. I mean, she is good looking, just like Ripley was (and Sigourney Weaver aged amazingly!), and is a very good actress- but Tricia Helfer would be 100% perfect for the part. I think I should make a thread on all the reasons I think that soon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed