ALIENS May 2009 (More Than Human)

Started by vikingspawn, Jan 07, 2009, 01:04:33 PM

Author
ALIENS May 2009 (More Than Human) (Read 64,918 times)

DivineStrike

DivineStrike

I think ill wait till their all out and compiled into a beautiful graphic novel.

vikingspawn

vikingspawn

ALIENS #1 sold very well and ranked #103 in the Top 300 of comics sold in May:

#103 - ALIENS #1 (OF 4) $3.50 DAR    19,598 (Estimated quantities)

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15147.html

It's also the 4th best selling comic in May for Dark Horse.    

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: vikingspawn on Jun 27, 2009, 02:02:05 AM

Eh....you would think that a relaunch of a series like Aliens would do better.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

People were spoiled by the omnibuses.  You can get about four times the story for the same price as this entire series.

Also, scanning has helped further bury comic titles. 

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

QuoteAlso, scanning has helped further bury comic titles. 

Wouldnt know anything about that...

vikingspawn

vikingspawn

Quote from: XenoVC on Jun 27, 2009, 04:13:10 AM
Quote from: vikingspawn on Jun 27, 2009, 02:02:05 AM

Eh....you would think that a relaunch of a series like Aliens would do better.

19,500 is very good in todays plunging comic marketplace.

The Dark Horse/Star Wars comics sell in the early 20,000 range and those are thier best sellers.   The last Indiana Jones mini series from last year only sold 14,000 and that had a movie in theaters to promote it.  These numbers are better than I thought.     

I think these high "Aliens" numbers will hopefully convince them to produce more regular monthly Aliens books soon.    The "Predator" first issue numbers should be available in a few weeks.

Mr. Domino

Connection?  :o

Zach Howard

Zach Howard

I've don't even know what that picture is from.  Idrew the layouts of the cover image you are using and my editor asked me to put in pinchers - he sent me sources of ants and that's about all the inspiration that was involved.  i didn't even know that previous aliens had had tusks prior to me drawing this.  I was just doing what i was told to do by my editor.  That's my job.

Why people seem to think there is always some conspiracy behind a drawing or concept is beyond me.  So far my covers have been compared to a Venom cover and this shitty little image.  All i can say is that i have a blank sheet of paper and a pencils when i go to work.  There have been thousands of alien drawings - it's hard not to be compared to something. 

If you think i cheat or copy things, go look at my 7 year history of work and try and find anything suggesting this.  I pride myself in what i do and I've never copied a single line in my entire career.  I'm not saying I'm not influenced by any other artists (far from it), but I've never copied a damn thing outside of my own sourcework. 

I appreciate the people that have been supportive during this series, but I'm through trying to be available to Aliens fans.  I've never worked on a property where the fan base was this crappy.  I tried to make myself available for contact and interaction because I remember being a fan at one point, and I always enjoyed being able to talk to the creators.  However, this is why most comic creators become reclusive - it's not worth it.  There are always herds of dickheads that just want to stir shit because they have nothing positive in their lives.  I guess that those that can't do, complain.  Don't think that all I need is adulation or praise - it's not that at all.  I don't mind criticism; hell I would have never been able to become a pro if i didn't listen to it.  What I can't stand is thoughtless shit stirring.  It gets old.  I work 60 to 70 hours a week to publish comics and I can only stand so much obtuse sniping.  It's the same reason I stopped going to comic book shops.  Just a bunch of fat f**ks talking about shit they have no clue about. 

I'm sorry for those of you fans that are good people, but I'm absolutely finished with interacting on the internet.  You are always welcome to come talk to me at a convention and get a sketch or something.

take care,
z

XenoVC

XenoVC

Zack,I don't think he was making that comparison in a negative light.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Me either.  I think he was suggesting that there was an underlying story link between the old picture (which was an alien 3 pic of the ox alien) and the aliens in the new series.

As in perhaps the aliens come from ox or oxlike creatures.

Thats the thing about the internet, its hard to gauge intention.  In my earlier post about the cover artwork for aliens issue 3 of this series I wasn't saying the design was taken from Dorman, just that it looks very similar to what Dorman used to do.  No other intention behind it.  Its a kickass piece.

You also have to forgive alien fans.  For some the downward spiral of aliens related media began at the third film.  For other the fourth.  For many the AvP series of movies.

Outside of the AvP PC games, the media related to both has been mostly terrible in the gaming world, and there are some comics related to both that are plain silly.  Mindhunter comes to mind.

Look at Ridley Scott and his involvement with the prequel.  The man is a creative genius that gave us two scifi classics.   Yet people are already dismissing the prequel because of the series past history.

Aliens fans are like Knick fans, you gotta impress them early.  

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

The first Pic is a screenshot of the Alien 3 game boy game, those that look like the mandibles on the side of the jaw are in fact not mandibles but its shoulder arches as i call them.

midget

midget

Quote from: Zach Howard on Jul 11, 2009, 05:56:12 PM
I've don't even know what that picture is from.  Idrew the layouts of the cover image you are using and my editor asked me to put in pinchers - he sent me sources of ants and that's about all the inspiration that was involved.  i didn't even know that previous aliens had had tusks prior to me drawing this.  I was just doing what i was told to do by my editor.  That's my job.

Why people seem to think there is always some conspiracy behind a drawing or concept is beyond me.  So far my covers have been compared to a Venom cover and this shitty little image.  All i can say is that i have a blank sheet of paper and a pencils when i go to work.  There have been thousands of alien drawings - it's hard not to be compared to something. 

If you think i cheat or copy things, go look at my 7 year history of work and try and find anything suggesting this.  I pride myself in what i do and I've never copied a single line in my entire career.  I'm not saying I'm not influenced by any other artists (far from it), but I've never copied a damn thing outside of my own sourcework. 

I appreciate the people that have been supportive during this series, but I'm through trying to be available to Aliens fans.  I've never worked on a property where the fan base was this crappy.  I tried to make myself available for contact and interaction because I remember being a fan at one point, and I always enjoyed being able to talk to the creators.  However, this is why most comic creators become reclusive - it's not worth it.  There are always herds of dickheads that just want to stir shit because they have nothing positive in their lives.  I guess that those that can't do, complain.  Don't think that all I need is adulation or praise - it's not that at all.  I don't mind criticism; hell I would have never been able to become a pro if i didn't listen to it.  What I can't stand is thoughtless shit stirring.  It gets old.  I work 60 to 70 hours a week to publish comics and I can only stand so much obtuse sniping.  It's the same reason I stopped going to comic book shops.  Just a bunch of fat f**ks talking about shit they have no clue about. 

I'm sorry for those of you fans that are good people, but I'm absolutely finished with interacting on the internet.  You are always welcome to come talk to me at a convention and get a sketch or something.

take care,
z

All the artwork and time put into it is f**king awesome. LONG LIVE ALIEN COMICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magical_boy

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Quote from: Zach Howard on Jul 11, 2009, 05:56:12 PM

take care,
z

Damn. I dunno where this negativity was coming from (at least from the fans) but thats too bad.

Love your art and I am liking both the Aliens and predator comics, sorry to hear your leaving.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Zach just wanted me to pass along his apology for the misunderstanding. I'm trying to persuade him to stay.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed