The Terminator can't be the same universe!

Started by Harkus, Jun 21, 2008, 10:33:48 PM

Author
The Terminator can't be the same universe! (Read 7,833 times)

Harkus

I've seen posts by people on IMDb and other websites that have said that they believe that Alien, Predator and The Terminator are all set in the same universe, but that can't be true. One thing stops that being true: JUDGEMENT DAY!!!! How can Ripley be on a spaceship in the future if robots are in control of earth and are killing the humans?

The Necronoir

Because the future war is ended sometime during the 2030s and Alien is set much later than that. That's not definitive proof that they are the same universe, simply because there isn't any, but it means that the possibility is still open. In fact the real grounds for the two being incompatible comes from the AVP movies, being set in the present day.

Undeadite

Yeah, nothing in the alien universe really specifies the past.

Uncanny Antman

They are not set in the same universe.

Judgement Day finally occured in 2003, devastating the Earth.
AvP is set in a regular, non-apocalyptic 2004.

Not too hard to figure out, really.

AvPvTerminator

What if the AVP movies are just set on a different timeline to the Terminator series?

Gameoverman!GAMEOVER!

Quote from: AvPvTerminator on Jun 22, 2008, 09:44:22 PM
What if the AVP movies are just set on a different timeline to the Terminator series?

What? So they can exist in the same universe, provided we ignore some films that would contradict that?

Layorz

AvPvT lovers:Look at it this way. The comic states that in less then 100 years the earths governments had hidden all evidence of the Terminators, yet at that point Ripleys grandparents were around. I dont know about you, but dont you think people would remember a nasty war with robots walking around shooting people?

AvPvTerminator

Quote from: Layorz on Jun 22, 2008, 10:59:43 PM
I dont know about you, but dont you think people would remember a nasty war with robots walking around shooting people?

No, because, like I said, the nasty war with robots walking around shooting people exists on a different timeline than the alien movies.

Munkeywrench

Quote from: Layorz on Jun 22, 2008, 10:59:43 PM
AvPvT lovers:Look at it this way. The comic states that in less then 100 years the earths governments had hidden all evidence of the Terminators, yet at that point Ripleys grandparents were around. I dont know about you, but dont you think people would remember a nasty war with robots walking around shooting people?

Not to mention there are Artificially Intelligent Andriods in the Aliens universe, If Judgement Day happened do you think they'd risk creating Self-Aware AI again?

SM

QuoteNo, because, like I said, the nasty war with robots walking around shooting people exists on a different timeline than the alien movies.

And therefore a different universe.

The Necronoir

I think there is a tendency to group Terminator along with Alien and Predator because they all have a certain real-world feel about them. It isn't so much about them all being part of the same fictional universe, but rather each of them being congruous with the universe we actually live in. That said, as of AVP they can't really be seen to exist in the same continuum, and if you're going on the alternate timeline thing then you're resorting to a separate universe anyway, so what's the point?

AvPvTerminator

Well, the way I look at it is that in timeline 1 the humans succeeded in destroying Skynet before JD happens, and in timeline 2, they don't.

Timeline 1: Alien/Predator series
Timeline 2: Terminator series

Is this possible?

Layorz

No.

AvPvTerminator

Why not?

Layorz

Because its still stupid and illogical. They wouldnt attempt to make self aware AI again. That would be complete suicide.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed