Alien FPS using Unreal 3 Engine

Started by Yautja, Dec 13, 2006, 04:11:05 PM

Author
Alien FPS using Unreal 3 Engine (Read 9,725 times)

Yautja

Yautja

The best gaming engine out there, The Unreal 3 engine will be used to make the Aliens FPS.

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/index.php?p=pr&pr=9

The Ultimate Predator

Really? That would be awesome.

Corporal Hicks

Does anyone have any examples of games using this engine...other than Unreal3?

Darkness

Darkness

Roboblitz — (2006) Naked Sky Entertainment
Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway — (2007) Gearbox Software
Elveon (2007) 10tacle studios
Gears of War — (2006) Epic Games 
Huxley - (2007) Webzen
Mass Effect — (2007) Bioware
Medal of Honor: Airborne (2007) Electronic Arts
Too Human - (2007) Silicon Knights
Unreal Tournament 2007 — (2007) Epic Games 
Lineage 3 — (2007) NCsoft
Lost Odyssey - (2007) Mistwalker
Stranglehold - (2007) Midway Games - Chicago Studio
Stargate Worlds - (2007) Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment

Corporal Hicks

Figures I should know the last one.  :P

I'm gonna have to check 'em out, see if the engines been used in a game with the atmosphere you'd expect from an Aliens game.

The Ultimate Predator

Those are all pretty good games, this should be awesome.

G.C. Samaras

Bah, Unreal 3 engine means computer upgrade for me...

*Has no money*

Corporal Hicks

These are going to be console games.

Darkness

Darkness

Is it definite that the FPS won't appear on PC?

Corporal Hicks

They said next-gen. That phrase tends to refer to consoles.

invalid

invalid

I have a friend with a brother who worked for a company using Unreal Engine 3, and appearently it's a major bitch to develop for. Also Epic, the engine's developers, don't provide much support (according to this source, anyway). In terms of sheer tech, though, it really is a major beast! Not much beats playing Gears of War in 1080i with a good set. I think this may have been an exclusive case, since I never hear any other negative feedback from developers.

As for Aliens using it, I can't wait to see what Gearbox comes up with. Just look at what they accomplished with the new Brothers in Arms.

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 13, 2006, 10:07:53 PM
Figures I should know the last one.  :P

I'm gonna have to check 'em out, see if the engines been used in a game with the atmosphere you'd expect from an Aliens game.

Gears of War is the answer.  There is a level where you and the marines are out in the rain and its lightning.. looks like it was heavily influenced by Aliens.  Very very cool game too.

kaz_lara

kaz_lara

I'm quoting this from www.planetgearsofwar.com and is some pretty interesting stuff. What is said could probably effect the aliens if there is multiplayer. Effecting them in the way of speed i mean.

In an interview with The Mercury News, Factor 5 president Julian Eggebrecht has declared that Unreal Engine 3 (which is, of course, Gears' engine) is not particularly amazing (thanks VE3D and BU). In fact, he declares that UE3 is little more than a "corridor" engine. Here's what was said:

Q: Some of the games all look good to me. This looks great. Is there a big difference you can see between this and Gears of War?

A: In Gears of War there is no way you could actually go above the city and then basically go seamlessly from air to ground. Unreal Engine in the end just provides for corridor and corridor being more a metaphor here in terms of design. Our engine is always designed in a huge world bubble and that can be 32 kilometers by 32 kilometers. You can go anywhere at extreme speeds. Unreal Engine is dependent on the fact that you go relatively slowly through your world. With us, you can go through the world fast or slowly. If you are in night mode, or you are on the ground, you get all of the detail that Unreal Engine provides. But there is no way you can get the macro.

Cellien

Cellien

@Kaz:  Then how do they explain Umreal Tournament 2007? AKA, UT3.   It has vast open areas from what I have seen and its an extremely fast paced game with flying vehicles that go way about the level and anywhere inbetween.   Even in Gears, there were large open areas, but I agree not as big as some games.  I have to say that given what I have played and seen from games made with Unreal Engine 3.0, its more than capable of making a good Aliens game. 

kaz_lara

kaz_lara

A good aliens game compared to AVP2? If there is a multiplayer i don't want slow ass aliens like in that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed