What are you listening to right now?

Started by Harry72, Dec 13, 2006, 10:32:39 AM

Author
What are you listening to right now? (Read 1,635,601 times)

HuDaFuK

"Lonely Days, Lonely Nights" has immediately jumped up the list to being one of my very favourite Whitesnake songs.

Prez

Prez

Alien Minute Podcast - Season 2.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 15, 2017, 09:32:40 AM
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/670/MI0000670086.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

"Lonely Days, Lonely Nights" has immediately jumped up the list to being one of my very favourite Whitesnake songs.
Okay. You guys have my interest in what's going on with Whitesnake. I remember they had some 80s hits, and seen some of their CDs at a shop today. What kind of rock are they (besides hair :P ) and where should I begin? 80s Hair Rock/Metal never really drawn in my interests until y'all keep posting about them. Enlighten me, please.

Edit:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w2_lHNDJ7gs

I felt this page needed more dance. Shep Pettibone maybe the most underranked producer like ever.

KiramidHead

HuDaFuK

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Aug 17, 2017, 12:55:17 AMOkay. You guys have my interest in what's going on with Whitesnake. I remember they had some 80s hits, and seen some of their CDs at a shop today. What kind of rock are they (besides hair :P ) and where should I begin? 80s Hair Rock/Metal never really drawn in my interests until y'all keep posting about them. Enlighten me, please.

Their early stuff is very 70s blues rock. Think lots of Hammond organ accompaniment. The Deep Purple heritage is very obvious (although ironically Whitesnake had none of the obvious funk/soul elements that Coverdale introduced to Purple when he was their singer).

Then they did an album called Slide It In. For a bunch of reasons, it got redone for the US market after it's UK release - Coverdale hired a new guitarist who added some new guitar parts and the whole thing was remixed, giving the album a much more 80s sound. This turned out to be kinda prophetic, because after this Whitesnake dramatically changed its style and went full-on 80s hair metal. That's where the monster hits like "Is This Love" come from.

Traditionally people who are fans of early blues rock Whitesnake seem to hate the later hair metal Whitesnake, but I'm a bit of a black sheep in that I actually love both iterations of the band lol. That said, if 80s rock isn't generally your thing you should probably start with their earlier stuff. I'd recommend Ready an' Willing as a good place to start, it's probably my favourite of their early records, but any of their first five albums will give you a good idea of what they were about back then.

Russ

Russ

Their finest hour in my view:

HuDaFuK

Yeah, Slide It In's a superb album. That sounds like the redone US version with John Sykes on guitar to me.

Whiskeybrewer

Whitesnake were the first ever gig I went to. The Restless Heart Farewell Tour in 1997. What a show, was a great mix of the bluesy stuff and the Hair Metal period

HuDaFuK

Other than maybe the original Superman, this has got to be the most iconic superhero score of all time. With so many movies made since, "The Batman Theme" still defines the character for me.

FiorinaFury161

Thank you for all the info gentlemen! The crusade of Whitesnake will progress sooner than expected!

FiorinaFury161

Only fitting for the total solar eclipse here in the USA:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZtfsfoKSB0

Shinawi

HuDaFuK

That reminds me of this time I was in a rock club and the DJ played a hard rock remix of Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven Is a Place on Earth", with her vocals over a new metal backing track. It was freaking amazing :laugh:

Whiskeybrewer

A selection of tracks from the Starship album Love Among The Cannibals. Their first one without Grace Slick and also there last one for nearly twenty years. Has a definite Def Leppard vibe, which is most likely down to the involvement on some tracks by Mutt Lange and Mike Shipley. The fourth track ive put here is actually written by Lange. Its a really underrated album i think and worth tracking down

HuDaFuK

Was playing my Michael Mann playlist and I completely forgot I had this song.

Beautiful piece of music.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed