What are you listening to right now?

Started by Harry72, Dec 13, 2006, 10:32:39 AM

Author
What are you listening to right now? (Read 1,625,105 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 21, 2016, 02:20:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpzeSSeOvw0

Go ahead, Cornelius. You can cry now.

This song should have been a proper single like it was planned to. Its the most Steinman, Non-Steinman track on the album

HuDaFuK

Wild Frontier by Gary Moore

Even the fact Moore decided to use a drum machine (on an album that is crying out for some real drumming) and it's short length can't stop this being my favourite album by him. I just love the Celtic flair he gives most of the tracks. Who knew Irish folk and rock could go together this well? Well, maybe Nightwish, but I digress... Great stuff. Especially love the opening song "Over the Hills and Far Away".

KiramidHead

THE CITY HUNTER

Shook me all night and who made who by AC DC

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 25, 2016, 03:18:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9i7aBd4IA

I love this film. The Music is amazing. Only ever watched the Final directors cut Stanley released awhile back, but i actually wouldnt mind tracking down the studio cut with the Voiceover, to see how different it is

KiramidHead

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Oct 25, 2016, 10:37:45 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 25, 2016, 03:18:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9i7aBd4IA

I love this film. The Music is amazing. Only ever watched the Final directors cut Stanley released awhile back, but i actually wouldnt mind tracking down the studio cut with the Voiceover, to see how different it is

Yeah, I only have the Final Cut DVD set I got off ebay.

Whiskeybrewer

This 2011 release was the first Tyketto studio since Shine 1995, but it was also the first album to feature the original foursome since 1991's Dont Come Easy debut. Singer Danny Vaughn is on great form as always. At this point he'd been going for 25 years and his voice is still as Pristine and Full as it was in the beginning. Michael Arbeeny drums like a madman when he can, Brooke St. James is on grooving form on Guitar and Jimi Kennedy keeps that Bottom end on fine form. This is also the bands first release on Frontiers Records (although not Danny's).

Opener Faithless is a blistering song. Hard and Heavy and what was needed to get the album going. Love is Love was the only single and its a good track, classic fun Tyketto and the first appearance of Danny's Twelve String Acoustic. Here's Hoping it Hurts is absolute perfection and should have been a single, its a classic, funny angry ex song lol. Dig in Deep, the title track fires on all cylinders, great backing vocals and true rhythm behind it. Sound Off is just the band railing against all the posers in every walk off life. This is How we say Goodbye, is the perfect ballad to end the album on, just sounds so rich and has a brilliant story to it.

This is also the last album to feature the four as Brooke St James quit after the tour as he didnt want to tour anymore and Jimi Kennedy's family life got in the way, but the band is still going strong, with New album Reach out this month

Whiskeybrewer

The first album after the tragic death of bassist Cliff Burton. Its the bands Progiest album as well, with lots of time changes with Cliff would have loved. Its also the first to feature Jason Newsted.

The album opens up with Blackened, also the only Newsted writing credit on the album (well he only had three credits across his whole time with the band). Its dark, its headlong, its Metallica. Title track And Justice for All follows next and is an absolute epic and inspired by the Al Pacino film of the same name. One is the most famous track from the album, based on the book and film of Johnny Got His Gun. (There seems to be a theme of film adapts or homages on this album). Harvester of Sorrow is a good track, its just caught in the middle part of the album. Frayed ends of Sanity, opens with an homage to the Wizard of Oz and then proceeds to kick ass afterwards. To Live is to Die is the epic instrumental and features the final lyrics/poem written by Cliff Burton. Features Spanish Guitar pieces and hard driving sections, Hetfield even takes on one of the solo's. This then leads straight into album closer Dyer's Eve, which features some of Lars fastest drumming (I dont think they've ever done it live because of that) and is the first of Hetfield's lyrics to deal with his Christian Scientist upbringing.

This is a good album and the first one of theirs i got, but i do find the production and mix kind of dull and muted. The Bass is almost non-existent and i think its time that they did an anniversary remix/remaster. Which I'm sure would be welcomed

FiorinaFury161

NEW AFI SONGS!!! :D :D :D :D

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!

KiramidHead

Funny shit from one of my uncle's albums. :laugh:

Immortan Jonesy

Whiskeybrewer

An absolute classic, no doubt about it. You can help but be drawn in by each song, each a stone cold classic. Created by a band at the height of their powers. After the mainly acoustic based 'III', IV (or Four, or Four Symbols or ZOZO, which ever you want to go for), the band created an album that mixes all the elements they've used before to great effect.

Opener Black Dog, has a great little bluesy strum, before Plant's vocals kick in. Now hearing this on vinyl for the first time is an experience, i actually found it shiver inducing. Listening to it on CD isnt quite the same, but still is an awesome song. Its followed by the solid Rock n Roll, a song I've wanted to cover for some time. It has a perfect rhythm and its supposed simplicity, belies what is going on. Battle for Evermore features the beautiful harmony vocals of Fairport Convention's Sandy Denny. The vocal interplay between Denny and Plant is beautiful and you can picture the song being recorded around a campfire. Up next is the classic Stairway to Heaven, the bane of every Music shop lol. There is not much else i can say about this song, that you dont already know, so I'll leave it there. Misty Mountain Hop is next and a nice track to follow Stairway, its mid-tempo and features some great piano playing by bassist John Paul Jones. Four Sticks is next, named after Bonham's playing with two sticks in each hand. Its pure Rock and you can tell the band are loving it. Going to California is a beautiful folk style ballad, that shows even more of Zeppelin's inspriations. Finally we have the epic When the Levee Breaks a 'co-write' with blues player Memphis Minnie, meaning that they took her song and re-did it (something they were in a habit of doing and they didnt always create the original writer)

This album has to b in your collection, that is all

Russ

Russ

I recently stumbled up on "Atrium Carceri" - which I've learned is called Dark Ambient Music. It may as well have been written for the Alienverse...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrium_Carceri

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Russ on Oct 31, 2016, 11:26:18 AM
I recently stumbled up on "Atrium Carceri" - which I've learned is called Dark Ambient Music. It may as well have been written for the Alienverse...
Ahhh, the realm of Dark Ambient. Seems like you have a decent starting point, I am here should you have any questions. I HIGHLY suggest raison d'ĂȘtre above and before all others. Easily the most trance inducing, sub conscious opening music ever to have been introduced to my conscious being. Absolutely brilliant, flawless, meticulously merciless work by the legendary Peter Andersson of Sweden. He has plenty of other projects as well, all vastly different but all grand as well.

If you would like a frightening Alien themed album, check out Nostromo by Sleep Research Facility...

KiramidHead

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed