A bit perplexed by the predators honor

Started by Silent striker, Dec 29, 2007, 04:00:53 PM

Author
A bit perplexed by the predators honor (Read 10,735 times)

Silent striker

No doubt this will start a great debate so here goes.

I for one was always not sure if the predator was a good guy or a bad guy. Each portrayal minus avp has shown the predator to be ruthless and cunning. And yet has a soft spot for the lady folk. Look at predator 1 and he never touches Anna. Even though she picks up that gun that Arnie kicks out of her hand. Predator 2 it was the female cop. She was pregnant and he let her go.

Avp the predator teams up with the girl. Yep another girl reference. But that gets all shot to hell in avp:r when he impales the girl up on the wall much like a wall hung trophy. However it wasn't planned as the disk was already in transit as he had thrown them at the aliens and the girl does one of the dumbest things I have seen in all slasher teen movies she runs straight into the meet grinder -  (figure of speech.)

Another thing is the book AVP: prey which I have and no doubt some of you have read by now. The Japanese women who runs the corporation ends up teaming up with that teacher predator Dachande and they kick ass together. At the end of that book we realise that she has her own weapons that were probably given to her by the dying Dachande. A search party is sent to look for Dachande, they find the girl and not much else.

Now going back to avp here for just a sec, when Scar caught up with the last three survivors, Sebastian, Saana Latham and Mr Bishop. Lance tries to take a swing at the predator, he scans his lungs and decides to let him go as he is not a threat and would die from natural causes. Then lance decides to try and burn the predator only to recieve a nice jab in the guts with 12 inch blades.

Can anyone else see the jumble here of predator honor or is it just me?

Uncanny Antman

Depends of if you think the Predators operate on an honour code or not.

I don't, so there's no jumble to sort out as far as I'm concerned.

darcevil

Well the last one is a simple case of "don't piss off a pred". He was going to let him live, but wayland pissed him off at the wrong time.

ShadowPred

Ok I have be;ieved that the preds have always have a code of honor.

AVP: Honor non-existant because they were trying to become men, it was a ritual HONOR had nothin to do with the ritual.

AVPR: Wolf was on a mission to destroy every trace of the aliens, HONOR once again non existant...he would kill anyone that got in his way, as we saw with the policeman in the forest who wasn't armed.

Commander Aun

Ok lets cross them off:

Predator 1: Hunter killed all the commandos and military guys, didnt kill anna. Hence doesnt kill non armed prey aka no sport and dishonourable (if you go by the books/comics).

Predator 2: Killed gangsters, cops, and the civilians on the train scene, but didnt realize they were civilians and not military or gangsters. Didnt kill the females in the film, which included the female cop and the drug lords concubine.

AVP: Killed mercenaries, Weyland, other guys, aliens all armed. Aliens and Weyland are an exception because the Alien is in effect is a weapon all in itself, and is a key part of the manhood or blooding ritual. Weyland because he was shown to have cancer and left alone, but when he provoked the predator, he killed Weyland because he was considered reasonable prey.

AVPR: In this film, he is a 'cleaner' and is on a mission to clean up the evidence of the predator technology and the alien infestation, therefore he is on a mission, not a hunt so he can disregard the rules in the name of completing the mission.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

There's nothing to support the honour theory in the films, only a "sportsman's code"

P1 - Kills anyone who is armed.  Has no qualms about sniping from on up high while invisible.
P2 - Kills anyone who is armed.  Even old ladies.  But does have a 'no pregnancy' rule.
AvP - Kills anyone, armed or not, even if they are no sport, such as a dying man.
AvP2 - Kills anyone, armed or not.  (From what I understand, the cop who gets skinned has a holstered weapon.)

Doesn't sound much like honour to me.

Night Killer

Night Killer

Quote from: Silent striker on Dec 29, 2007, 04:00:53 PM
No doubt this will start a great debate so here goes.

I for one was always not sure if the predator was a good guy or a bad guy. Each portrayal minus avp has shown the predator to be ruthless and cunning. And yet has a soft spot for the lady folk.

You seem to forget when the predator flayed those old ladies on the subway in Predator 2. 

The predator kills humans for sport so we consider it a "bad guy"  Since it has a great sense of honor they won't kill people that can't defend themselves.  The only movie that ever potrayed them as "good guys" was the team up in avp.  Of course those same preds were willing to kill unarmed humans so you can't take their portrail in that movie seriously.

Uncanny Antman

So you just pick and choose which films to use to prove a point, and ignore any that show otherwise?

Again, where is this honour people keep speaking of in the films?

Night Killer

Night Killer

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Dec 30, 2007, 03:17:05 AM

P1 - Kills anyone who is armed.  Has no qualms about sniping from on up high while invisible.
P2 - Kills anyone who is armed.  Even old ladies.  But does have a 'no pregnancy' rule.
AvP - Kills anyone, armed or not, even if they are no sport, such as a dying man.
AvP2 - Kills anyone, armed or not.  (From what I understand, the cop who gets skinned has a holstered weapon.)

Doesn't sound much like honour to me.

P1-That can be interpreted as either honor or hunting code.  Maybe the risk of being shot while he sniped was enough for honor for him.

P2-Same as the first.

AvP-I don't even try to make sense of this movie anymore, those predators where teenagers.  They were probalby even more hotheaded then their older hunters.  They could have forgotten honor because they were enraged about losing their guns.  Or they could have been afraid of not having guns to fight the aliens.

AvP-R-He only kills two humans in the entire movie and one was by accident.  I think that predators follow an honor system but they have common sense.  The whole reason he is on earth is too kill the aliens and make sure there is no evidence of the predator exstistance.  A human seeing him is part of that, he had no choice but to kill him.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Skull-hunter on Dec 30, 2007, 04:14:31 AM
P1-That can be interpreted as either honor or hunting code. 

Only if you're desperately trying to find a way to make the honour theory fit the facts.

Night Killer

Night Killer

Because it does, so does a hunting code.  I just like to believe that it is an honor code because that makes more sense to me.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Skull-hunter on Dec 30, 2007, 04:20:10 AM
Because it does...

If your idea of honour includes killing completely unaware prey from an invisible position, and killing people who are unarmed, then yes...it's honour.  But I pity anyone you'd impose that kind of honour system on.

Do human hunters have honour when they kill a defenseless animal from a thousand meters away?  Or is it just so-called sport? 

Night Killer

Night Killer

Stalking an intelligent predatory species and trying not to be noticed is honorable.  Tracking highly trained humans through thick jungle without being seen is honorable. 

Uncanny Antman

Why, exactly?  Because you say so?

If I were to go outside and track some dude for a couple of blocks and then kill him without him ever knowing I was there, that's honour?

What if he had a knife?  Then is it honour? 

What if he was an old lady with a pistol?  Honour?

SM

SM

The simplest way for a non-fan such as myself to sort this whole thing out is - they have rules, but it's not 'honour' as humans would define it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed