User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

AvPGalaxy News

Statistics

1,868,552 Posts in 28,202 Topics
by 18,046 Members
Latest Member: harrison.perry.984

Author Topic: Godzilla  (Read 653734 times)

Bat Chain Puller

• Colonial Marine
  • That's chaos theory!
    • DeviantArt
Re: Godzilla Remake and other Movie Mons...
« Reply #2775 on: Feb 07, 2012, 01:59:10 AM »
Legit Concept Art For Legendary's 'Godzilla' Reboot

A brand new issue of G-fan has revealed that a pair of Godzilla concept art images are in fact legit, with the previous incarnation (displayed all over the web prior to this story) were fakes. Too bad they were rejected.

Monsters director Gareth Edwards is still is attached to direct the latest revamp of Godzilla for Legendary Pictures. Max Borenstein is rewriting David Goyer's draft. No details have been revealed other than there have been talks of 3-D and IMAX.

Making his first appearance in 1954 (Gojira) Godzilla is a giant monster that lives in the sea that comes from the ocean to feed on mankind. In 1998, TriStar Pictures produced a remake set in New York City, directed by Roland Emmerich and starring Matthew Broderick.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/27936

I like the first one. Only like it. Concept art can be tricky. It almost needs to be HYPER-COOL just to get the finished product to be regular cool. I feel like the realized version of this concept would just be mah.

Chaotic-Strike. Gold post man. That videooooo!

I've been eagerly awaiting this blu for as long as blu has existed. I held off on the first edition knowing what the deal was with the up convert from early reviews and such. I'm still holding off a bit because I refuse to pay over $19.99 for a disk.

But that video makes me want to splooge splurge!

I almost resent that fact that they have to (in big white letters) hit people over the head with "Monster as a Metaphor" - "It's not just a Monster Movie!" ect. It's as if Criterion is justifying why they are putting this out. 

Chaotic-Strike

• Space Trucker
« Reply #2776 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:06:40 AM »
Usually Barnes and Noble have a discount sale on Criterion movies,  so I guess you could wait on that.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2012, 04:14:03 AM by Chaotic-Strike »

Omegazilla

• Space Jockey
    • Monster Legacy
« Reply #2777 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Chaotic-Strike!! I'll surely import this as soon as possible.

DoomRulz

• Site Staff
  • Harrigan
  • I am Raptor Jesus.
« Reply #2778 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »
I must confess ignorance so someone help me out. I know the original Gojira was supposed to have an anti-nuclear war message but is the message really that obvious: don't start war lest we be attacked by a 400-ft tall monster?

Omegazilla

• Space Jockey
    • Monster Legacy
« Reply #2779 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:48:34 PM »
It's been a lot of time since I last saw it, but what you say is part of the environmental message, you know, the 'nature strikes back' theme, which seemed to be pretty popular in the 50s (The Beast from 20.000 Fathoms started the trend), hence the speech at the end of the film (similar to THEM!). There's also the theme of the nuclear bomb, 'reincarnated' in Godzilla, coming back to haunt the Japanese, but I don't remember if it was so much implied in the film or if it is one of the ways you can read it.

DoomRulz

• Site Staff
  • Harrigan
  • I am Raptor Jesus.
« Reply #2780 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »
Thanks OmegaZilla, that makes it a bit clearer :)

Bat Chain Puller

• Colonial Marine
  • That's chaos theory!
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2781 on: Feb 08, 2012, 01:03:27 AM »
Usually Barnes and Noble have a discount sale on Criterion movies,  so I guess you could wait on that.

Annnd they recently filed for Bankruptcy. So assuming they have it in stock, and it somehow survives to the liquidation stage of their brick and mortar stores, it will be a steal!

but is the message really that obvious: don't start war lest we be attacked by a 400-ft tall monster?

It's not at all that ham-fisted. As I can recall there is no saber rattling or finger pointing at America or any other country for it's involvement and escalation of weapons and war. It seemed more of a personal, introverted, even mournful lament for Japan's involvement in the war. As if they were personally responsible for opening the nuclear Pandora's box. The weapon that is developed to destroy Godzilla is the metaphor of becoming a monster to destroy a monster. It was a warning about using nuclear weapons to fight nuclear weapons.

More of my changing views of the Original Godzilla; The American dubbed and the Original Japanese versions.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

genocyber

• Alien
  • Chief Scientist
« Reply #2782 on: Feb 08, 2012, 01:36:19 AM »
The concept art so far looks pretty uninspiring. They should really look at Godzilla 2000.

Requiem28

• Blain
    • Facebook
« Reply #2783 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »
Didn't know where to post this (seems logical to put it here), but here's an interview a week before the release of the 1998 film with Maria Pitillo on Conan O'Brian.  Feel kinda bad for her cause she seems kinda awkward on the talk show.  What ever happened to her?

KNIGHT

• Hawkins
  • Super-Jet-Elite 12th form perfectionist-KNIGHT
« Reply #2784 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:54:23 PM »
We need some new news on this movie. I need something to satisfy mu Kaiju needs.

Bat Chain Puller

• Colonial Marine
  • That's chaos theory!
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2785 on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:08:15 AM »
Didn't know where to post this (seems logical to put it here), but here's an interview a week before the release of the 1998 film with Maria Pitillo on Conan O'Brian.  Feel kinda bad for her cause she seems kinda awkward on the talk show.  What ever happened to her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB5pzuXsIzE#

Poor girl. Her character/performance was the worst thing about the film. Which may give some people some insight as to where she's been since then.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hellspawn28

• Dallas
    • Facebook
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2786 on: Feb 27, 2012, 02:31:14 AM »
We need some new news on this movie. I need something to satisfy mu Kaiju needs.

They are still working on it. I guess that they are still writing on the film?

DoomRulz

• Site Staff
  • Harrigan
  • I am Raptor Jesus.
« Reply #2787 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:01:31 AM »

Faded away into obscurity. She isn't exactly talented.

Requiem28

• Blain
    • Facebook
« Reply #2788 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:15:14 AM »

Faded away into obscurity. She isn't exactly talented.

There are a lot of shitty ass actresses that still get jobs these days.  They just never gave her a chance to develop.

DoomRulz

• Site Staff
  • Harrigan
  • I am Raptor Jesus.
« Reply #2789 on: Feb 27, 2012, 03:25:03 AM »
There's also the fact that she isn't particularly attractive. Yeah she's pretty but she isn't exactly Megan Fox. I think when actors star in movies that are big budget which flop and one actress/actor is singled out, their career goes downhill.

Site Info

AvPGalaxy is a fan site dedicated to the Alien, Predator, Aliens vs Predator and Prometheus franchises. We currently report news on the upcoming game Alien Isolation, Ridley Scott's Prometheus 2 and Shane Black's Predator 4 / Predator reboot movie.

Contact

General: webmaster
News: news
Podcast: corporalhicks