What's Your Job?

Started by Cromartie, Dec 13, 2007, 02:20:30 PM

Author
What's Your Job? (Read 66,082 times)

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Jun 17, 2016, 12:13:44 AM
I work as a children's Illustrator for a company that provides educational content for schools. Rather than the government fix the decaying walls in schools, you can just attach a giant vinyl mural on top instead. Here is a few of them:

I also do a bit of freelance work on the side occasionally. Here are a couple of club posters:

I work from home which isn't the fun easy time it sounds. I'd much prefer an office job.
cool,yeah it must be hard.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

It's hard in the sense that I need to be self disciplined, and I'm a terrible procrastinator. I'd rather have someone keeping checks on me. That and I eat, sleep, work and relax in the same small flat.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Jun 17, 2016, 12:19:18 AM
It's hard in the sense that I need to be self disciplined, and I'm a terrible procrastinator. I'd rather have someone keeping checks on me. That and I eat, sleep, work and relax in the same small flat.
claustrophobia.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jun 16, 2016, 11:38:13 PM
Quote from: aliens13 on Jun 16, 2016, 09:50:23 PM
I work in an underground mine, in the part of administration for now but I'm doing the inductions to work inside the mine.
In Canada?
No, in Patagonia, Argentina.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: aliens13 on Jun 17, 2016, 12:37:16 AM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jun 16, 2016, 11:38:13 PM
I work in an underground mine, in the part of administration for now but I'm doing the inductions to work inside the mine.
In Canada?
No, in Patagonia, Argentina.
OK,money good.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Jun 17, 2016, 12:19:18 AM

Awesome profession. How long have you been doing it? I can understand where you're coming from. I work best in an office too. I do most of my website work at work too because I just never focus at home.  :laugh:

What do you mine, if you don't mind me asking.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 17, 2016, 07:24:07 AM

What do you mine, if you don't mind me asking.

Yes, no problem. I do the control of all the machines that work inside the mine, meters drilled, explosives. Also I do the control of the elements of security of the miners, like hearings, gloves, helmets, etc.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 17, 2016, 07:24:07 AM

Awesome profession. How long have you been doing it? I can understand where you're coming from. I work best in an office too. I do most of my website work at work too because I just never focus at home.  :laugh:

Just over 3 years.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

I'm driftwood and have no particular direction in life.

I've flip flopped between UK College GNVQs and HND style courses (guess you'd call it community College in USA), working retails/service industry, call centre work on the telephones, warehouse and construction labourer.

I do have a Degree in Business but after seeing so many people's dreams and aspirations hit the wall, some corruption and backhanders at work I am staying well clear.
Don't have the "presentability" or shrewdness to be a white collar schemer either (such as an Estate Agent or Car Salesman). I'm too honest for all that.

Due to privacy I won't disclose what I intend to do next.

toro

toro

i turned 30 a couple months back and after working for apple for five years i've left them. just cannot handle really entitled people. i don't have anything lined up, but am financially secure for now. is anyone else my age and still doesn't know what to do for a living? i wonder if i'll ever know

The Old One

The Old One

Unknown, as of today.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Web programmer for 13 years. Currently working with ASP.NET in the finance sector.

Predwars24

Predwars24

FedEx Ground Package Handler: Have been there for almost a year now, basically I move 1,049 packages an hour for what could be 4 hours a day monday through friday from 4:00am to 8:00am, and most boxes can be 50Ibs if not heavier, with the fact that we can not possibly do that amount in the time they give us, so they complain about it till we get the job done, so it's always a lose lose situation.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I work at a Case IH dealer full time.  I have somehow become pretty good at my job despite not caring much for it.  Currently I am trying to bait my employers into a significant raise before June (I told them I was leaving after the busy season).  I'll see if they bite.

I'm also part time in the Army National Guard as a combat engineer in a sapper company.  Joined mainly for college as the college benefits are just about the best thing you can do in the states tuition wise if you don't have a full academic ride through a scholarship.  But they also offer cheap insurance too.  There are other draws that are hard to explain.  I both love and hate it.  It's hard to replicate the camaraderie you find in the military, but it is also hard to replicate the pure stupidity of how the Army is run. 

My contract ends in July but am considering extending for a year because we are going to Germany to be the opposing force for a huge war game among traditional allied forces.  Sapper company's are usually attached to big maneuver units to clear the way for their movements.  So it would be interesting to break into team size elements and harass the hell out of those same units as a guerilla force.  Sappers would seem to be ideal for this, we can make improvised explosives, understand where units would want to maneuver to and block or funnel their way, what their offensive and defensive capabilities are(because we attach to them we know how they move), and have enough training in small unit tactics because we always attach to the infantry to be a nuisance if we are caught in a movement.  Plus they are getting an MWR day to just run around in Germany and take the country in.  I've been to Germany before but never in the capacity to take the country in.  That's a huge draw, but I generally hate the way that unit is run so maybe not. (They don't train to standard, they train to time, and it drives me crazy)

They leave the month after my contract ends, so I'd literally have another ten months left after we came back.  Don't know if that is worth it.

Plus getting out of both jobs at about the same time would mean that I would be completely free of any job related obligations going back 8 years and would have a fresh start.

The flip side is that if I extend for a year with NG and then stay another year with my civilian company I'd be fully vested in that companies ESOP as opposed to just be partially vested now. 

That would be like getting a 16,000 dollar bonus if I did decide to leave the next year at about the same time.

So basically it boils down to making financially sound decision vs a decision of FREEDOM.  And trust me, freedom is underrated.  If you have been burdened with a military contract, you know what I'm talking about. 

SiL

SiL

Motion graphics artist, video editor, film editor, photographer. Hurrah freelance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed